35 Healthy Soup Recipes
Here are 35 Healthy Soup Recipes to try this season! Serve for a nourishing family meal, meal prep on the weekend or freeze for lunches.
If you are like us, this time of year means cooking soups! So if you are in the mood for a steaming hot bowl of comfort, then this collection of healthy soup recipes will be your go-to list! We have also included our featured recipe: Chinese Hot Pot Slow Cooker Chicken Soup! It is comforting and delicious on a chilly evening.
In addition to healthier versions of comfort food classics, I have also included some of our favorite vegan and clean eating soups too! There is something for everyone!
The best part of making soup is that you can freeze the leftovers in 1-quart containers. Which seems to be the perfect amount for lunches all winter long. Making soups is a great way to preserve the fall harvest.
Healthy Vegan Soup Recipes
Here are some of my favorite plant-based vegan soups for you to try this winter. They're free from dairy or animal products. If you're looking for a fantastic vegan broth, I recommend Imagine brand No Chicken. It has the best flavor.
Hearty Beef and Chicken Soups
Making a meal of soup is easy as can be, and great for meal prep since they reheat so well. I love how hearty soup is with the addition of lean beef or chicken. Here are some of my favorites. Make sure to check out our guide to making homemade chicken stock here.
Slow Cooker Soups
Making soup in a slow cooker is about as easy as it gets. Let them simmer away all day, and come home to a home-cooked meal!
A hearty chunky soup is always a welcome addition to a cold day or night, especially to fill bellies after a day in the snow. I love loading up my soups with extra nourishing vegetables to make them filling and good for you!
Pureed Healthy Soup
There's nothing quite like dipping a hunk of crusty bread into a silky smooth bowl of pureed soup. My family and I love all different kinds of pureed soups from cauliflower to kale!
Side Dishes For Soup
- My favorite thing to have with soup is homemade whole-wheat bread.
- We love to add a bit of crunch with Homemade Croutons too.
- For a gluten-free option, salads are always a classic pairing with soup. Our Garden salad is a favorite, and for something ultra-nourishing, try our Massaged Kale Salad. Another hearty salad is our Spinach Salad with Bacon and Eggs. You can see all of our salad recipes here.
- These savory muffins are always a fun change of pace, and our Gluten-free skillet cornbread is another quick baking option.
- We also love pairing soup with half of a sandwich or grilled cheese. Our favorite turkey avocado sandwich recipe is always great!
Here are 35 Healthy Soup Recipes to try this season! Serve for a nourishing family meal, meal prep on the weekend or freeze for lunches. Our featured recipe is this Chinese Hot Pot Slow Cooker Chicken Soup. Though the flavors in this hearty stew are inspired by a Chinese Hot pot, calling this recipe one is admittedly somewhat of a misnomer. Traditional hot pots are cooked table top, this however is cooked on the countertop in a slow cooker.
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil or organic canola oil
- 1 ½ pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, fat trimmed
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- ½ cup dry sherry
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup very dark maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium tamari
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup large diced carrots
- 1 cup large dice peeled celeriac
- 1 cup large chunks peeled yellow potato
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Turn over and continue cooking until browned. Remove skillet from heat and transfer the chicken to the insert of a large slow-cooker.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add onion, mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring often until the onion is softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add five spice powder, ginger, red pepper and cook, stirring until fragrant, 30 to 90 seconds.
- Add sherry and cook, scraping up any browned bit until mixture comes to a boil, and the sherry is reduced by about one half, 30 to 90 seconds.
- Add the onion mixture to the slow cooker insert. Add broth, maple syrup, tamari and vinegar to the slow cooker, and stir to combine. Add carrots, celeriac and potatoes on top, without stirring. Cover and set timer to 4 hours on low.
- Cook until the timer goes off. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions.
- Prep Time: 35
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Category: Soup
- Serving Size: 2 cups
Keywords: Healthy Soup Recipes