Today I have a from scratch Cauliflower Rice recipe made with fresh cauliflower, scallions, garlic and a little rosemary. It is a simple low-carb side dish with only 54 calories per serving to pair with so many different flavors. It is grain free, Whole30 and Vegan.
When I was putting together this round-up of 15 healthy cauliflower recipes I came across the idea of cauliflower rice here and there, and for some reason, I didn’t try it. Maybe I thought it was too involved, or that it would be too cauliflowery (is that a word?) or maybe I just have way too many things that I am always wanting to try and I am constantly running out of runway every single day.
But then last week I happened to have a head of cauliflower in the fridge so I tried it and it was great!
Of course since I first tried making cauliflower rice from scratch the availability of fresh and frozen pre-chopped cauliflower rice has exploded across health food stores, specialty stores and most supermarkets too. I still prefer it from scratch. I think the texture is better and I like to add in some other veggies and seasoning to make it taste more like rice pilaf.
Getting the Best Texture:
To cut the cauliflower up before sautéing it, I cored the head, and cut it into chunks. Then I pulsed it in the food processor in three batches. A few pieces stayed large, so I pulled them out, dumped the granulated “rice” into a bowl and reprocessed the large chunks.
How to make Cauliflower Rice
- I started with evoo in the skillet. If you like to use a little butter you can add that too.
- Then I used chopped scallion whites and garlic too. If you want to streamline this recipe, skip them, but the finished product will be more mild.
- I added chopped celery because I liked the classic mirepoix flavor it would add. Again, skip them if you are in a rush.
- And some rosemary for a savory touch. But really you can add whatever you want to this. Dried herbs are a great speedy option!
What To Serve with Cauliflower Rice
It is totally neutral in flavor, and really a blank canvas for whatever you want to pair with it or add to it.
Is Cauliflower Rice Good For You?
This cauliflower rice recipe has only about a third of the calories of the same volume of white rice. Consider swapping out lower calorie sides that fill up your plate and belly with fiber and volume.
More Low Carb Recipes on Healthy Seasonal
- This Keto Chicken Soup is a lighter and keto friendly version of chicken and rice soup. We’ve subbed in cauliflower rice instead!
- This fast and easy 20 Minute Low Carb Turkey and Peppers dish is simple to prepare and has so much saucy flavor.
- For a breakfast option this Low Carb Baked Denver Omelet is a winner for a crowd or for meal-prep.
- These Low Carb Mexican Stuffed Peppers are a simple (microwave) dinner!
- You can browse the rest of the Low Carb recipes here anytime!
More Cauliflower Recipes
- Another even easier way to make cauliflower for a side is this Simple Steamed Cauliflower with Herbs recipe.
- Roasted Cauliflower and Broccoli with Cheese is another low-carb side to try.
- For a make-ahead side dish worthy of the holidays this Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole is yummy!
- My Curry Roasted Cauliflower recipe is also a winner!
- This Low Carb Cauliflower Hummus is amazing!
Want more ideas for cauliflower? Don’t miss this Ultimate Guide to Cauliflower!
If you make this recipe for Cauliflower Rice, please come back and leave a star rating and review!
Cauliflower rice is a plain and simple low carb and keto vegetable side dish and rice alternative. It’s ready in 20 minutes or less. It can be made Vegan and Whole30 compliant.
- 1 head cauliflower, core and leaves removed, cut into big chunks
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 scallions, sliced white and green parts divided
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper, preferably white pepper
- ¾ cup reduced sodium chicken (or Imagine no-chicken broth for Vegan option)
- Place about 1/3 of the cauliflower in a food process fitted with steel blade attachment. Process until the cauliflower looks like tiny crumbs, 20 to 40 seconds. Transfer the processed cauliflower to a bowl, and repeat with the remaining cauliflower in two more batches.
- Heat oil in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites, garlic, celery and rosemary and cook, stirring often until the scallion whites are starting to soften and become translucent, and the garlic is just starting to brown, 1 ½ to 3 minutes.
- Gradually stir in cauliflower, salt and pepper coating with the scallion mixture. Cook, stirring often until you start to notice browned cauliflower when you stir along the edges of the skillet, 3 to 4 minutes. Add broth, stir to combine and increase heat to high. Cook stirring often until the cauliflower is cooked but not mushy, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in scallion greens. Remove from the heat and serve.
This recipe only has 3 grams net carbs.
Meal Prep Tip: Cooked and cooled cauliflower rice can be stored in a resealable container the refrigerator for three days. Reheat until steaming in the microwave to serve.
- Serving Size: 2/3
- Calories: 54 calories
- Sugar: 1.5 g
- Sodium: 260 mg
- Fat: 3 grams fat
- Saturated Fat: 0 g sat
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 2 g