This vegan Mexican Four Bean Salad is going to be your new favorite picnic or potluck side dish- because it is so flavorful and delicious, but totally easy to make! The creamy avocado and cumin dressing has a kick of smoky chipotle chili that really peps up the canned beans and edamame
I have been watching a lot of Nat Geo’s “One Strange Rock” and it is making me want to quit it all, buy an Alaska Camper and discover cool things in the world. Actually maybe a jet would be better. All I know is I’m going somewhere with clear aqua blue water!
I also have been dreaming about forgetting all about my deadlines and surprising the girls with a trip to Disney. What can I say? It’s pretty dull in Vermont in the month of April, and I am using the power of my imagination to get through it.
I actually wasn’t even planning to share this recipe with you in the middle of April, but when I tested it the other day I was immediately transported to warmer weather and more sunny days! No camper required! It is summertime in a bowl!
It’s fantastically easy to make. Just open some cans of beans, thaw out some corn and edamame, add in cherry tomatoes and cilantro and toss it together with an easy avocado dressing. Done!
- Have you watched One Strange Rock?
- Do nature shows ever make you want to travel?
- Where would you go?
MORE SIDE DISH and SALAD RECIPES YOU’LL LOVEPrint
A simple side dish with tons of flavor! Mexican 4 bean salad, with corn, cilantro and creamy avocado dressing. Serve it at a picnic or bring it to a pot luck- everyone can enjoy it because it is vegan and gluten-free.
- 2 ripe avocados, divided
- ½ cup chopped cilantro, divided
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 fourteen-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 fourteen-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 fourteen-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Puree ½ avocado, ¼ cup cilantro, ¼ cup cold water, oil, vinegar, garlic, cumin, salt, chipotle and pepper in a food processor or mini prep until smooth.
- Combine black beans, chickpeas, pinto beans, edamame, and corn in a large bowl. Pour dressing over the bean mixture, and stir to coat.
- Chop the remaining 1 ½ avocado and add to the beans. Add the remaining ¼ cup chopped cilantro and the cherry tomatoes, and gently fold in.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 169
- Sugar: 3
- Fat: 6
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 21
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 6
Keywords: bean salad,healthy bean salad, mexican bean salad