This easy Broccoli with Garlic and Lemon is one of my favorite go-to ways to jazz up simple steamed broccoli and my children absolutely love it! It’s naturally gluten-free and low carb too!
Last week, I was having one of those dog doo on the shoe days, getting a little too bent out of shape for my own good about dumb stuff like blue #1 in the only wasabi peas that they carried at Hannaford and oh my goodness could this line at UPS be any longer. Hi my name is Katie, I have a furrowed brow and I am from the town of grouch city.
Then my friend told me she had unexpectedly lost her family member to a freak car accident. He had died the night before and she had gotten the call that very morning. She was barely holding it together. I was immediately brought back to earth and reminded to keep all the little things in perspective. To focus more on the positive amazing wonderful things I have in my life and to not sweat the small stuff.
When I got home, I had planned to work on my ever mounting pile of things to do, but all I really wanted to do was cook and take some pictures. So I made my daughter’s favorite broccoli recipe with lemon and broccoli. It is so easy it doesn’t require a lot of patience or brain power or skill for that matter. Perfect for my mood. And the smell of cooking garlic is enough to get even the grouchiest people out of their funks.
How to Make Lemon Garlic Broccoli
- Start with broccoli crowns, they have less stem so you waste less. While I do like broccoli stems for their crunch in certain recipes, in this one I prefer the florets because they soak the lemon garlic sauce up.
- Steam the broccoli over boiling water with a steamer basket. Make sure the water level is below the line of the broccoli. Cover and steam until it is just tender.
- While the broccoli is steaming make your garlic and lemon mixture. Chop the garlic, you’ll need a whole tablespoon full! Then sizzle it in a hot olive oil in a small skillet. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t get too brown, then transfer it to a big bowl to stop it from cooking any more. Add in the lemon to cool it down. Then you can add in the zest, salt and pepper.
- Once the broccoli is done, add it to the lemon mixture and toss it to coat. Serve it immediately.
- It can be made ahead, but the lemon will cause the broccoli to turn yellowish. While it will still taste great, it won’t be pretty.
Do you ever want to cook when you’re in a funk?
How do you get out of bad moods?
Easy Broccoli with Garlic and Lemon- it’s a simple way to make steamed broccoli taste incredible and the kids will love it too! Naturally gluten-free and paleo.
- 5 cups raw broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- rounded ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring 1 to 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer attachment. Add broccoli, cover and steam until crisp tender, 3 ½ to 4 1/2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil and garlic in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook until the garlic is fragrant and just starting to brown, 30 to 90 seconds. Scrape garlic mixture into a large bowl. Immediately add lemon juice. Add lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Stir broccoli into the lemon mixture and stir to coat. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 70
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 182 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: broccoli,healthy,paleo,keto,lemon,garlic,side dish,easy,simple
MORE RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE