Roasted Broccoli And Cauliflower With Cheese
With only 15 minutes of prep and 30 minutes of cooking time this Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower With Cheese is the perfect side dish. Lining the sheet pan with foil is key to catching the melted cheese drips and making clean up a breeze!
I originally shared this recipe on November 26th, 2018. I have added a video and more information to make it more helpful for you today.
Table of contents
Why We Love Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower with Cheese
- I love broccoli and cauliflower cooked together. Our Cauliflower and Broccoli Casserole is proof positive that they are a match made in heaven!
- These two cruciferous vegetables taste great together because they are both from the brassica family.
- They cook at the same rate.
- We used simple seasonings to keep this side dish easy enough for a weeknight.
- We added on two kinds of cheese for great cheesy taste and gooey creamy texture.
- Cooking them on foil makes the clean up so easy!
- These vegetables are high in antioxidants and vitamins and may help to prevent certain diseases.
- This simple side dish pairs well with roasted poultry, pork and beef.
Yummy veggies and cheese. Always a family favorite.~Jenn
Ingredients For Baked Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Fresh Broccoli and Cauliflower Florets – Perfect veggies to roast together because they cook at the same rate and broccoli’s grassy, earthy and slight bitterness complements cauliflower’s sweet nutty flavor. Just keep in mind they need to be cut into florets that are roughly the same size.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil – This oil has a smoke point of 450 degrees making it a good choice for roasted vegetables, as it also adds flavor.
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper – A delicious combo to enhance the flavor profile of the veggies.
- Nutmeg and Cayenne – The nutty, sweet warmth of nutmeg and the spicy kick of the cayenne also work to complement and amplify the flavor of the veggies and are two of my favorite seasonings.
- Cheddar and Parmesan or Romano – The creamy slightly acidic cheddar and the rich nuttiness of the parmesan are delicious with the caramelized flavor of the roasted veggies.
Step By Step Instructions To Make Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower with Cheese
Step 1: Preheat oven and prepare the pan and veggies.
Use a high temperature, 450 degrees is good, to roast broccoli and cauliflower. It will allow it to soften just enough without becoming flabby, and will also brown a bit which gives the broccoli a slightly nutty taste and delicious crispy edges.
Line your cookie sheet with aluminum foil, parchment paper or if you have one a silicone baking mat. That will catch the melted cheese so the clean up will be much easier.
Toss broccoli and cauliflower florets with oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. And I also liked to add in a generous pinch each of ground nutmeg and cayenne pepper. They go well with the cheese! You can also add in some garlic powder too (see above rules.)
Spread on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
Step 2: Roast the veggies.
Roast until the vegetables are browned and softened, about 25 minutes. Once they have softened and browned, then you can add on your cheese! Yay cheese! I used a combo of Vermont Sharp white cheddar and grated Parmesan cheese. Let that melt for about 3 minutes, then you are good to go. Your taste buds will be so happy!
FAQ’s And Expert Tips
Yes, because it contains fiber, vitamin C and protein and the olive oil adds beneficial antioxidants.
Wash the broccoli well and make sure to dry very thoroughly by either shaking and patting dry or using a salad spinner. Do not skip the drying because any excess moisture will keep the broccoli from caramelizing and steam it instead.
Roast vegetables uncovered and stir 2-3 times during cooking. Do not cover the vegetables because this will keep them from browning and steam them instead.
Yes, olive oil is a great option because it stands up well to heat and imparts great flavor.
Keep leftover roasted cauliflower and broccoli with cheese in an air-tight resealable container up to three days.
Reheat in the microwave by placing a serving on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with parchment or a paper towel. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes or until steaming hot. Alternatively, you can rewarm in the oven at 350 degrees F but the veggies may become overcooked. When cauliflower or broccoli are overcooked they can taste sulfurous.
- Chicken & Poultry: Pair with our favorite Crispy Skin Chicken recipe or Greek Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Beef: Try with our Shepherd’s Pie Loaded Baked Potatoes or Filet Mignon Steaks with mushroom sauce.
- Fish & Seafood: Crispy Crab Cakes, Simple Pan-fried Fish or Seared Salmon are great with these roasted veggies
- Vegetarian: Try with our Lentil Shepherd’s Pie or Veggie Pasta Bake
More Healthy Broccoli and Cauliflower Recipes To Try
- Cream of Cauliflower Soup with cheese- Oh so dreamy and creamy and made in the instant pot!
- My Lemon Garlic Broccoli recipe has been super popular and is one of the easiest recipes perfect for your dinner table!
- My Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Cheddar is a Healthy reinvention of the classic and an absolutely yummy broccoli recipe.
- This Garlic Mashed Broccoli is vegan, paleo, whole-30 approved, low-carb and gluten-free.
- If you have an Air Fryer try this Simple Air Fryer Cauliflower. And don’t miss this Buffalo Cauliflower Wings too!
- You won’t believe that this Low Carb Hummus is made with cauliflower instead of chickpeas and an easy way to sneak in extra veggies!
- Making this recipe for Simple Steamed Cauliflower with herbs is a simple recipe and a great way to prepare cauliflower. A very easy side dish!
- Don’t miss this from scratch Cauliflower Rice recipe made with fresh cauliflower, scallions, garlic and a little rosemary. Or our Mashed Cauliflower either.
Thanks so much for reading! If you are new here, you may want to sign up for my email newsletter to get a free weekly menu plan and the latest recipes right to your inbox. If you make this recipe, please come back and leave a star rating and review. I would love to hear what you thought!
Happy Cooking! ~KatiePrint
Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower with Cheese made on a sheet pan lined with foil for easy clean-up. A simple low-carb veggie side dish.
5 cups broccoli florets
5 cups cauliflower florets
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
generous pinch each nutmeg and cayenne
½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese, about 2 ounces
¼ cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment, aluminum foil or a silicone baking mat.
- Toss broccoli, cauliflower, oil, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne in a large bowl until coated. Spread on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast until the vegetables are browned and softened, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheddar and Parmesan cheese and return to the oven. Roast until the cheese is melted, 2 to 4 minutes. Serve hot.
To Prepare Broccoli and Cauliflower for Roasting:
Wash well and dry thoroughly by shaking and patting dry or using a salad spinner.
Cut broccoli and cauliflower into florets of equal size and spread out on the baking sheet in a single layer for even cooking.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: side dish
- Method: roasting
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 137
- Sugar: 3 g
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 7 g
Keywords: cauliflower and broccoli,cauliflower and broccoli with cheese,roasted broccoli and cauliflower