Roasted Broccoli And Cauliflower With Cheese
With only 15 minutes of prep and 30 minutes of cooking time this Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower With Cheese is the perfect side dish. Lining the sheet pan with foil is key to catching the melted cheese drips and making clean up a breeze!
I originally shared this recipe on November 26th, 2018. I have added a video and more information to make it more helpful for you today.
Why We Love This Oven Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower Recipe
This may be an oversimplification, but when it comes to preparing veggies for a simple side dish, I usually rely on one of three rules that always seem to work:
One: When in doubt, roast them!
Two: Cheese is never a bad idea!
And Three: Garlic makes the world go round.
This is one of those Broccoli and Cauliflower Recipes where I have employed not one but two of these tried and true veggie side dish rules (roasting and adding cheese) and the results are amazingly delicious.
Note: If you are hoping for some veggie side dishes with garlic (that follow rule three) you can search through all of the side dishes here. There are tons! Here are a couple of my favorites: Garlic Herb Butternut Squash and this make-ahead Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole.
In the past I have shared roasted broccoli and roasted cauliflower recipes, but I have never shared one here where they were roasted together on the same sheet pan. So I figured, why not! Then I added on two kinds of cheese and I think from now on the rest will be history!
This simple side dish pairs well with roasted poultry, pork and beef.
Combining Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Broccoli and Cauliflower are related, they are both members of the brassica family of plants which means they are cruciferous vegetables. Other members of this family are cabbage and kale.
- These vegetables are high in antioxidants and vitamins, and may help to prevent cancer.
- Both vegetables are crisp when raw, and have a balance of sweet and peppery mustard flavor.
- Note: When cauliflower or broccoli are over cooked they can taste sulfurous.
- Broccoli and cauliflower cook at roughly the same rate which means they go great in recipes together.
- I love to add them to a broccoli and cauliflower casserole or cauliflower macaroni and cheese, but this simple preparation of roasting them together is even easier and I think the best way to prepare them!
- Just keep in mind they need to be cut into florets that are roughly the same size and roasted in an even layer.
Ingredients For Baked Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Fresh Broccoli and Cauliflower Florets – Perfect veggies to roast together because they cook at the same rate and broccoli’s grassy, earthy and slight bitterness complements cauliflower’s sweet nutty flavor.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil – This oil has a smoke point of 450 degrees making it a good choice for roasted vegetables, as it also adds flavor.
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper – A delicious combo to enhance the flavor profile of the veggies.
- Nutmeg and Cayenne – The nutty, sweet warmth of nutmeg and the spicy kick of the cayenne also work to complement and amplify the flavor of the veggies and are two of my favorite seasonings.
- Cheddar and Parmesan or Romano – The creamy slightly acidic cheddar and the rich nuttiness of the parmesan are delicious with the caramelized flavor of the roasted veggies.
Step By Step Instructions To Make Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower with Cheese
Step 1: Preheat oven and prepare the pan and veggies.
Use a high temperature, 450 degrees is good, to roast broccoli and cauliflower. It will allow it to soften just enough without becoming flabby, and will also brown a bit which gives the broccoli a slightly nutty taste and delicious crispy edges.
Line your cookie sheet with aluminum foil, parchment paper or if you have one a silicone baking mat. That will catch the melted cheese so the clean up will be much easier.
Toss broccoli and cauliflower florets with oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. And I also liked to add in a generous pinch each of ground nutmeg and cayenne pepper. They go well with the cheese! You can also add in some garlic powder too (see above rules.)
Spread on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
Step 2: Roast the veggies.
Roast until the vegetables are browned and softened, about 25 minutes. Once they have softened and browned, then you can add on your cheese! Yay cheese! I used a combo of Vermont Sharp white cheddar and grated Parmesan cheese. Let that melt for about 3 minutes, then you are good to go. Your taste buds will be so happy!
FAQ’s And Expert Tips
Yes, because it contains fiber, vitamin C and protein and the olive oil adds beneficial antioxidants.
Wash the broccoli well and make sure to dry very thoroughly by either shaking and patting dry or using a salad spinner. Do not skip the drying because any excess moisture will keep the broccoli from caramelizing and steam it instead.
Roast vegetables uncovered and stir 2-3 times during cooking. Do not cover the vegetables because this will keep them from browning and steam them instead.
Yes, olive oil is a great option because it stands up well to heat and imparts great flavor.
More Healthy Broccoli and Cauliflower Recipes To Try
- Cream of Cauliflower Soup with cheese- Oh so dreamy and creamy and made in the instant pot!
- My Lemon Garlic Broccoli recipe has been super popular and is one of the easiest recipes perfect for your dinner table!
- Want more ideas for cauliflower? Don’t miss this Ultimate Guide to Cauliflower!
- Roasted Cauliflower and Broccoli Pasta from Two Healthy Kitchens is a way of combining them into a main dish.
- My Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Cheddar is a Healthy reinvention of the classic and an absolutely yummy broccoli recipe.
- This Garlic Mashed Broccoli is vegan, paleo, whole-30 approved, low-carb and gluten-free.
- Broccoli Salad With Sweet Miso Dressing is an unexpected and outrageously delicious vegan salad.
- This Bang Bang Cauliflower made in the Air Fryer is an easy appetizer everyone will love!
- You won’t believe that this Hummus is made with cauliflower instead of chickpeas and an easy way to sneak in extra veggies!
- Making this recipe for Simple Steamed Cauliflower with herbs is a simple recipe and a great way to prepare cauliflower. A very easy side dish!
- Don’t miss this from scratch Cauliflower Rice recipe made with fresh cauliflower, scallions, garlic and a little rosemary.
- This Healthy Pasta With Romanesco Cauliflower and Anchovies has a lot going for it in it’s Italian simplicity.
This Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower Recipe is on a Meal Prep Menu:
One more thing! This recipe is part of my Meal Prep Menu which includes five make ahead dinners! In these meal plans, I give you the prep list, shopping list and plan to prep on the weekend, so you can have all your weeknight meals ready to go with 20 minutes (or less) of time in the kitchen!
- Monday: Stuffed Shells with Spinach and salad with Lemon Juice Salad Dressing
- Tuesday: Cod Fish Tacos with refried black beans
- Wednesday: Sloppy Joes and this Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower with Cheese
- Thursday: Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Friday: Greek Pizza and lemony green beans
To get the full details, print your shopping list and get started, head over to the Meal Prep Menu to check it out!
Thanks so much for reading. If you are new here, you may want to sign up for my free weekly email newsletter for healthy recipes delivered right to your inbox. Or follow me on Instagram. If you make these recipes, please come back and leave a star rating and review! It is very appreciated. Happy Cooking! ~KatiePrint
Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower with Cheese made on a sheet pan lined with foil for easy clean-up. A simple low-carb veggie side dish.
5 cups broccoli florets
5 cups cauliflower florets
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
generous pinch each nutmeg and cayenne
½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese, about 2 ounces
¼ cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment, aluminum foil or a silicone baking mat.
- Toss broccoli, cauliflower, oil, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne in a large bowl until coated. Spread on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast until the vegetables are browned and softened, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheddar and Parmesan cheese and return to the oven. Roast until the cheese is melted, 2 to 4 minutes. Serve hot.
To Prepare Broccoli and Cauliflower for Roasting:
Wash well and dry thoroughly by shaking and patting dry or using a salad spinner.
Cut broccoli and cauliflower into florets of equal size and spread out on the baking sheet in a single layer for even cooking.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 137
- Sugar: 3 g
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 7 g