Filet Mignon Steaks with Tarragon Mushrooms
I am in love with these juicy beef tenderloin Steaks for Valentine’s Day with sautéed tarragon mushrooms and vermouth shallot reduction sauce. This recipe serves two and is for a special occasion stay-at-home date night! I also have a tip for you how to cook your filet mignon perfectly!
Table of contents
This post contains affiliate links.
There really is no other word to describe these steaks other than sexy. They are plump and tender and really juicy. They have a perfect crispy seared crust with lightly sweet and savory sauce draped over top. Then there are the mushrooms. Oh the mushrooms. They are so deliciously umami, you’ll wonder why you ever went out to dinner on Valentine’s day.
Besides, going out to dinner on Valentine’s Day is for rookies. You are not guaranteed to have an okay time, it is highly unlikely that the experience will be spectacular, and it may just suck. Restaurants aren’t set up to deal with Valentine’s day because they normally serve a mix of two-tops, four-tops and bigger parties all at the same time. But on Valentine’s day it is all two-tops all night. So to deal with it, a lot of times, the restaurant will offer a prix fixe menu or alter the menu in another way to limit options. The wait staff and kitchen runs around at double-time all night churning the deuces through. Can you tell that when I worked in the restaurant business I really disliked Valentine’s day? I am still not a big fan to be honest. I am always kind of disappointed.
But you know what is guaranteed to not be disappointing? Big Sexy Steaks at home. Light some candles, put on some music. Maybe even swipe on some lip gloss. You never have to put on your winter boots. And I have a trick to help make sure these steaks are perfectly executed. Because let’s be honest, if you are going to shell out the bucks for filet mignon, they better be spectacular.
How To Cook Filet Mignon Steaks
The trick is totally not sexy at all, unfortunately, but it works, and who cares how you get to perfection when it comes to filet mignon.
The trick is to use an instant-read thermometer or a digital meat thermometer with a remote sensor and set it to the internal temp you’re after.
They really help because it is really easy to get distracted by the other components in the meal (like the mashed potatoes) right at the same time that the steaks are coming up to temp.
You will not be bummed to own one because these thermometers come in handy when you are making Thanksgiving turkey or chicken, pork chops or even meatloaf.I wanted our steaks to be medium-rare so I set the temp for 130 degrees. They were perfect.
The Mushroom Pan Sauce
Once the steak comes out of the skillet to rest, set the skillet over medium- high heat. Add the shallot and thyme to the skillet, and cook, stirring until the shallot is browned, about 30 seconds. Add vermouth and let simmer until almost reduced by one-half. Stir the cornstarch into the broth and add to the skillet. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Cook until slightly thickened and reduced to about ½ cup. Remove from the heat.
How To Prepare Tarragon Mushrooms
Meanwhile while steaks roast, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites, mushrooms and salt, and cook, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are browning and the juices evaporate, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in scallion greens and tarragon and remove from the heat.
Serve steaks with vermouth sauce and mushrooms.
If you can’t get enough of the mushrooms in this recipe, make sure to check out these Simple Sauteed Portobellos with Tarragon and Sherry– they have a similar vibe and can be paired with a variety of other recipes like omelets, burgers and crepes.
What To Serve On Valentine’s Day with These Filet Mignon Steaks
Start off with a Pomegranate Lemon Drop Martini
Some side options are the mashed potatoes I mentioned above. Or if you want to get really fancy serve them with these beautiful two ingredient Potato Bacon Roses from Fearless Dining!
Something green on the side is always nice. These green beans would be lovely.
For dessert make this Dairy Free Chocolate Mousse!Print
Here’s how to make perfect Filet mignon steaks at home. They are served with vermouth reduction sauce and sauteed mushrooms with tarragon. Make them for Valentines Day or a Stay at home date night. Serves 2.
Big Sexy Steaks
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 1 ½ inch-thick filet mignon steaks, aka big sexy steaks, 12 to 14 ounces total
- ½ teaspoons each kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large shallot, minced
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup sweet vermouth
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken or beef broth
- ½ teaspoon corn starch or arrowroot
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 sliced scallions, white and green parts separated
- 4 cups sliced mixed mushrooms, wild, shiitake and/or white
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat canola oil in a medium heavy oven-proof skillet. Meanwhile, sprinkle steaks with kosher salt and pepper. When oil shimmers, add steaks, and cook until the bottom is deeply browned, about 5 minutes. Turn steaks over, insert remote oven-proof inta-read thermometer into the center of one steak (if using) and transfer the skillet to the oven. Roast until the steaks are 130 degrees F for medium-rare 8 to 11 minutes. Transfer steaks to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Place skillet over medium- high heat. Use caution the handle will be hot!! Add shallot and thyme to the skillet, and cook, stirring until the shallot is browned, about 30 seconds. Add vermouth and let simmer until almost reduced by one half. Stir the cornstarch into the broth and add to the skillet. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Cook until slightly thickened and reduced to about ½ cup. Remove from the heat.
Prepare tarragon mushrooms.
- Meanwhile while steaks roast, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites, mushrooms and salt, and cook, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are browning and the juices evaporate, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in scallion greens and tarragon and remove from the heat.
- Serve steaks with the vermouth sauce and mushrooms.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Category: main course
- Method: stove top and oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 steak, 1/4 cup sauce, 1/2 cup mushrooms
- Calories: 685
- Sugar: 13 g
- Sodium: 893 mg
- Fat: 28 g
- Saturated Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 43 g
Keywords: how to cook filet mignon,how to cook beef tenderloin steaks,beef tenderloin steak recipe,filet mignon with mushrooms