Pork Chops with Creamy Mushroom Gravy
Have you ever had pork chops with creamy mushroom gravy made from condensed cream of mushroom soup? This recipe is inspired by that old classic recipe, however this one is made entirely from scratch with fresh mushrooms and only a splash of half and half. Plus it’s ready in only 30 minutes, so it’s a great dinner for weeknight meals.
I originally shared this recipe on September 21st, 2016. I have updated the images and some of the text today.
Why You’ll Love This Creamy Mushroom Gravy and Pork Chops Recipe
When I was a kid, I clearly remember watching Mom searing pork chops in her heavy black skillet, then deglazing the fond from the pan with condensed cream of mushroom soup. The brown crusty bits swirled into the creamy soupy gravy, and it would melt from a can shape into a thick rich sauce. This was one of my favorite meals especially with mashed potatoes. I would try to make sure I rationed out my gravy for each bite of pork and potatoes.
I reinvented that old recipe today and made it with fresh mushrooms and shallots. It is a little more involved than opening a can, but not terribly difficult at all.
How do you make Lighter Creamy Mushroom Gravy
- To mimic the texture of the canned cream of mushroom soup version of mushroom cream gravy, you will need to chop your mushrooms pretty fine. I do this by hand, but if you’re in a rush you can throw them in the food processor and pulse them. Make sure not to over-process.
- Next you’ll want to make sure that the pork is nice and dry so you can get a good sear. You can read more about why you need a dry surface to get browning here.
- Sear the pork chops in a hot skillet, and then set them aside. In your skillet you will have some glorious fond. Which is french for the tasty crusty bits that are left behind in the skillet. Also known as pure flavah! You don’t want to miss out on that.
- To the skillet (fond and all) add in shallot and garlic plus thyme. And then you cook it until its just starting to smell awesome but not brown much. When you add in the chopped mushrooms they’ll start to let go of their moisture and that will prevent too much browning.
- Next comes vermouth- that will help to deglaze the sauce further, and the alcohol in the vermouth will make your taste receptors perceive the flavors in the the gravy taste better.
- Next dust a little flour over the mushroom mixture and stir to coat. This is in lieu of making a roux. And that means we’re saving extra calories from butter fat. The flour will thicken the sauce and will stabilize it so we can splash in a little half and half. Finish by adding the pork back to the skillet and cooking it through so it is just barely pink in the center.
What to Serve with Pork Chops with Creamy Mushroom Gravy
- Simple Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes are always a win when it comes to gravy!
- I also love these Herb Smashed New Potatoes.
- Or you can up your Mashed Potato Game by adding in Roasted Garlic. Holla!
- If you’d prefer a lower carb alternative, you could always make cauliflower rice instead.
- I like to serve something simple and green on the side like a garden salad or these Simple Skillet Green Beans.
- Or roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Vinegar would be a big hit too.
- Sauteed Kale with Cider Vinegar would also be a nice foil for the creamy sauce.
- Yummy dessert options would be my famous Maple Apple Crisp or Chewy Apple Oatmeal Cookies.
More Healthy Mushroom Recipes To Try
If you love mushrooms, try these Healthy Stuffed Mushrooms for an easy appetizer.
For entertaining and Sunday suppers try my recipe for Vegetarian Lasagna with Mushrooms.
As I said before, please let me know if you make this recipe (or another one that I’ve shared.) When you try a recipe you love, please come back and give it a star rating! It helps a lot!Print
This Pork Chops in Creamy Mushroom Gravy recipe is inspired by an old classic, however this one is made entirely from scratch. It’s loaded with fresh mushrooms, just a splash of half and half and ready in 30 minutes making it the perfect healthy comfort food dinner!
- ¾ teaspoon coarse kosher salt, divided
- 4 small boneless pork loin chops, about 1 ½ pound
- 2 teasopoons canola oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 8-ounce package mushrooms, finely diced
- ½ teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth or white wine
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ¼ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup half-and-half
- Pat pork dry with paper towels. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon salt over pork. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the pork chops and cook until just browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip over and cook 2 to 4 minutes longer until the bottom is browned. Set pork on a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Return the skillet to medium heat. Add shallot, garlic, thyme and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring constantly until fragrant and starting to brown, 20 to 45 seconds. Add mushrooms and rosemary and stir to coat with the shallot mixture. Cook, stirring often until the mushrooms have released their juices and the juices have evaporated and the mushrooms have started to brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add vermouth and pepper and cook, stirring until the liquid has evaporated, 1 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the mushroom mixture and stir to coat. Add broth and cook, stirring until the flour has dissolved into the broth. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a simmer, stirring often until the sauce is thickened. Add the pork back to the skillet and turn to coat in the sauce. Heat the pork, turning often, in the sauce until it is hot and just barely pink in the center, 1 ½ to 3 minutes. Transfer the pork to 4 plates. Stir the half and half into the gravy. Spoon the gravy over the pork chops.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 5 ounces pork and ½ cup sauce each
- Calories: 361
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 373 mg
- Fat: 18 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 36 g
Keywords: Pork Chops and Gravy,Pork Chops and Cream of mushroom soup gravy,pork chops with mushroom gravy