Looking for something a little different from traditional mashed potatoes for your Holiday table this season? These Easy Smashed Red Potatoes really fit the bill. They are super easy to make! Simply steam small red potatoes, then mash them with with their skin on, with fresh chopped herbs and yogurt for a tangy and fresh twist on mashed potatoes.
I developed this recipe for the July/August 2009 issue of EatingWell Magazine and originally shared it here on August 16, 2012. I have updated the images and some of the text today.
Mashed potatoes are awesome, but I always love to mix things up a bit and try something different. This simple and delicious recipe is really a stand out. It comes together with just a few minutes of hand-on time, and strikes the perfect balance of health and flavor.
To accomplish this the solution is keeping it simple. First, leave the skins on the potatoes, because it’s easier and healthier for you. Then steam them until they’re very tender. Then lastly, fold in just a bit of rich and creamy butter, sharp and tangy farm fresh yogurt and tons of chopped fresh herbs. I love to use a blend of herbs that I have on hand to really enhance the overall flavor and look of this dish.
The end result is a spectacular bowl of deliciousness that will really shine on your Thanksgiving or holiday table.
How to Make Easy Smashed Red Potatoes
- Leave the skins. There is a ton of fiber and nutrients in potato skins including Potassium and Vitamin C. Plus not peeling the potatoes saves time!
- Steam Them. Steaming the potatoes instead of submerging and boiling them in water actually helps them maintain their color, flavor and nutrients. And it’s a little faster.
- Use Tangy Yogurt. Adding plain fat-free yogurt instead of sour cream and tons of butter cuts the calories and fat without cutting the flavor.
- Don’t Forget the Butter. Just 2 tablespoons of butter for 2 pounds of potatoes adds the perfect amount of creamy rich flavor, so you won’t miss a thing.
- Green It Up. When you fold in the chopped scallions and fresh herbs into those warm potatoes and you smell the freshness and see all the gorgeous color they add you will want to dig in with a fork right then and there!
Don’t miss checking out a few of my other favorite potato recipes…Print
These Easy Smashed RedPotatoes are perfect for your Thanksgiving and Holiday Table. They are Vegetarian and Gluten Free, too!
- 2 pounds 1 to 2” diameter red potatoes, scrubbed and large ones quartered
- 2 scallions, sliced lengthwise and finely chopped (about ¼ cup)
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- ¼ cup finely chopped herbs, such as parsley, dill and sage
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- Bring several inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer attachment. Steam potatoes until all are very tender when tested with a fork, 20 to 25 minutes. Check the pot toward the end of steaming and add water if necessary to prevent the saucepan from boiling dry.
- Meanwhile, mix scallions, yogurt, herbs, butter, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Mix cooked potatoes into yogurt mixture breaking up the potatoes with a fork until they crumble apart and lightly clump together.
Any small thin-skinned potato will work in this recipe, including gold or purple.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup each
- Calories: 158
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 363 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: potatoes, healthy, vegetables, Thanksgiving, Holiday, side dish, gluten free, vegetarian, yogurt
Here are the original images associated with this blog post.