Mexican Chicken Salad Lettuce Cups with Avocado, jalapeno, cumin and cilantro in tender Bibb lettuce leaves. It is grain free and primal.
#SaladMonth is here my people! For those of you who weren’t here last May, I just want to catch you up, real quick like. May is national salad month. For real, I didn’t make that up. (Though I wish I could claim credit, since how freakin’ cool is a whole month dedicated to the love of salad?) I am a lover of salads dating back to my time pre-birth, and ran strong while through the lunchbox packing years and continues today. So for May, I will be sharing salads all month.
To start things off I have these Mexican Chicken Salad stuffed lettuce leaves. Since Cinco de mayo is tomorrow, and I just took a Mexican cooking class, I thought I best start off with a Mexican recipe. I love the way this chicken salad came out. Like I usually do for chicken salad, I lighted up the dressing by cutting the mayo with yogurt. It is super creamy from the avocado that is mixed in. I also added in red pepper for color and crunch and a sprinkle of pepitas on top for added texture.
Have you heard of Salad Month before?
What are you making for Cinco de Mayo?
Do you use yogurt to cut down on mayo in recipes?
Don’t miss this Ultimate Guide to Lettuce!Print
#SaladMonth Mexican Chicken Salad with Avocado, jalapeno, cumin and cilantro in tender Bibb lettuce leaves. It is grain free and #primal.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- salt for poaching plus 1 teaspoon
- ¼ cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh jalapeno (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into cubes
- 1 bell pepper (any color), diced
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 8 leaves Boston or Bibb lettuce
- Toasted pepitas for garnish (optional)
- 1. Place chicken in a medium skillet. Cover with cold water and set over high heat. Bring to a simmer, add a generous pinch salt, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the chicken is cooked through, and no longer pink in the center, 13 to 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the poaching liquid and let cool on a cutting board. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into bite-sized cubes.
- 2. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lime juice, jalapeno and cumin in a large bowl.
- 3. Gently stir the chicken, avocado, pepper, red onion and cilantro into the dressing to combine. Place two lettuce leaves on each plate. Fill the lettuce leaves with chicken salad, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size: 2 lettuce cups, with 1/2 cup chicken salad each
- Calories: 233
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 829 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 25 g