Mexican Chicken Salad with Avocado, jalapeno, cumin and cilantro in tender Bibb lettuce leaves. It is grain free, high protein and primal.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- salt for poaching plus 1 teaspoon
- ¼ cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh jalapeno (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into cubes
- 1 bell pepper (any color), diced
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 8 leaves Boston or Bibb lettuce
- Toasted pepitas for garnish (optional)
- 1. Place chicken in a medium skillet. Cover with cold water and set over high heat. Bring to a simmer, add a generous pinch salt, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the chicken is cooked through, and no longer pink in the center, 13 to 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the poaching liquid and let cool on a cutting board. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into bite-sized cubes.
- 2. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lime juice, jalapeno and cumin in a large bowl.
- 3. Gently stir the chicken, avocado, pepper, red onion and cilantro into the dressing to combine. Place two lettuce leaves on each plate. Fill the lettuce leaves with chicken salad, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size: 2 lettuce cups, with 1/2 cup chicken salad each
- Calories: 233
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 829 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 25 g