Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
This Stuffed Spaghetti Squash with Chicken Sausage, ricotta and marinara sauce is cheesy and total comfort food. With only 30 minutes of hands on time and 45 minutes total time, it has be added to your weeknight dinner menu!
Spaghetti Squash is one of my favorite winter squashes, and we have it pretty regularly. That’s why I am so shocked that I have never shared a stuffed spaghetti squash recipe here on the blog! That’s all going to change today my friends.
Ingredients for this Recipe
- 1 large spaghetti squash (about 3 ½ to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces cooked chicken sausages, red pepper or Italian flavor
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 cup marinara sauce
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- ¾ cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
How To Make Stuffed Spaghetti Squash with Chicken Sausage and Ricotta
Cut the Spaghetti Squash
Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise into two oval shaped halves. If you spaghetti squash is very hard, you can microwave it for 20 seconds to soften the skin slightly before trying to cut it in half.
Use a spoon to scoop the seeds and stringy pulp from the center of the halves.
Cook the Spaghetti Squash in the Microwave
I cover all the details for How To Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Microwave in another post that you can read for more photos and information.
Place cut side down side by side in a casserole dish and add one cup water.
Cover the casserole with parchment to prevent the plastic from touching the food. Cover with plastic wrap to seal in the steam.
- Microwave for 10 minutes.
- Press on the outer shell of the spaghetti squash to see if it gives with the pressure of your finger (caution it will be hot!)
- If it is still hard microwave in 5 minute intervals until it is softened.
Scrape Spaghetti Squash into strands
Carefully remove the plastic and parchment from the baking dish. There will be steam! Flip the squash over and test to make sure that the strands are tender by scraping with a fork.
If only the outer layer is tender, return the casserole dish and squash to the microwave and cook in two minute intervals until it is fully tender all the way through to the shell.
Scrape fork in the same direction as the strands to form long thin strips. Use a kitchen spoon to scoop them out. For this recipe leave a 1/2 to 1/4 inch border of unscraped squash along the shell to help the squash halves hold their shape.
Make The Filling
While you are cooking the spaghetti squash, make the filling.
Cut the sausage into half moons. Then sauté the sausage with the onion and oregano to get a little color on them.
Stir in in the sauce. Remove the skillet from the heat.
Once the spaghetti squash is done cooking, add the strands to the chicken filling and the chopped basil. Stir it together to combine everything.
Make Spaghetti Squash Boats
Spoon the filling back into the shells, dividing evenly. They will be full!
Top them with the ricotta cheese. I don’t spread it around because it looks messy. Instead I spoon it in dollops on the top. As it cooks it will sort of spread on its own.
Add the cheese on top and then pop it back in the microwave to cook the cheeses. It will take three to four minutes to heat them through again and melt the cheeses. Top with more basil if you like.
How To Make This Recipe In The Oven
- Set the squash halves in the baking dish and add water as directed, but do not cover with parchment or plastic wrap.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees F. Make sure the water doesn’t evaporate and add more if necessary.
- Test for doneness in the same manner as described above.
- To melt the cheese in the final step, bake for 5 to 7 minutes.
What To Serve With This Recipe
This is pretty filling on its own, but if you like to have something along side of this meal, you can make a salad. One of my favorites is this Chopped Winter Salad. Or for an even lighter option this Simple Skinny Cucumber Salad is very low in calories but serves as a nice fresh contrast to the squash boats.
More Spaghetti Squash Recipes
- Spaghetti Squash with Amatriciana Sauce is a little spicy and so yummy!
- This Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Sausage Ragu is delicious and very filling.
- For a vegetarian option, this Spaghetti Squash with Mushroom Rosemary Sauce is umami and so savory!
- Another meatless option is Spaghetti Squash with Chevre and Lemon Thyme Dressing. It can be a side dish or a light main course.
Thanks so much for reading! If you make this recipe for Stuffed Spaghetti Squash with Chicken Sausage and Ricotta let me know by leaving a star rating and review!
This Stuffed Spaghetti Squash with ricotta, marinara, cheese and chicken sausage is a lower carb alternative to pasta, but still cheesy and comforting! It only takes 30 minutes of hands on time and is ready in under an hour!
1 large spaghetti squash (about 3 ½ to 4 pounds)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
12 ounces cooked chicken sausages, red pepper or Italian flavor
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¾ teaspoon salt
2 cup marinara sauce
¼ cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
¾ cup part skim ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
1. Cook Spaghetti Squash: Cut spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out seeds and place cut side down side by side in a casserole dish. Add 1 cup water. Cover with a layer of parchment and then plastic wrap. Microwave for 10 minutes. Press on the outer shell of the spaghetti squash to see if it gives with the pressure of your finger (caution it will be hot!) If it is still hard microwave in 5 minute intervals until it is softened.
2. Test For Doneness: Carefully remove the plastic and parchment and flip the spaghetti squash over. Test that it is done by lifting up the strands of spaghetti squash with a fork. If there it doesn’t pull into strands easily, microwave in 2 minute intervals until it is done.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage, onion, oregano and salt and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is softened and browned, about 7 minutes. Stir in sauce and remove from the heat.
4. Scrape the spaghetti squash strands with a fork. Scoop them out with a spoon into the skillet. Leave a ¼-inch to ½-inch layer of un-scooped strands on the shell to help the squash halves retain their shape.
5. Stir the squash “noodles” and basil into the chicken sausage mixture and then return the spaghetti squash mixture to the shells. Top with dollops of the ricotta cheese. Top with the Italian cheese blend, dividing between the two squash halves.
6. Microwave uncovered until the stuffed spaghetti squash is bubbling hot and the cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve sprinkled with basil if desired.
To make this vegetarian
Substitute vegetarian sausage for the chicken sausage or omit all together.
To make this in the oven:
Set the squash halves in the baking dish and add water as directed, but do not cover with parchment or plastic wrap. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees F. Test for doneness in the same manner as described above. To melt the cheese in the final step, bake for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 422
- Sugar: 12 g
- Fat: 22 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 27 g