Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers is a 30 minute dinner perfect for meal prep! Try it with homemade salsa for a quick and healthy meal!
Why we love these Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Why do you need to make these healthy Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers? It’s a nutrient-packed meal that comes together in just 30 minutes! It’s perfect for making ahead and freezing for the week, too! They make a delicious lunch for work or school or a care package for a new mom!
Ingredients for this Recipe
- Quinoa – this “supergrain”, is super easy to make, and one of the most protein and fiber rich foods you can eat. It’s also inexpensive, and gluten free! Rinse before cooking to get rid of the saponin that coats the tiny seeds and leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. You can use white or tricolor quinoa in these Mexican quinoa stuffed peppers.
- Black beans – canned black beans work great! I use black beans with low-sodium
- Corn – rich in vitamin C and antioxidants! Canned or frozen can be used for this recipe.
- Ground Turkey – We love using ground chicken and ground turkey in healthier Mexican recipes, like our Ground Chicken Tacos and these Ground Turkey Enchiladas for a leaner choice than ground beef.
- Cilantro – I love the freshness that chopped cilantro brings to this dish. If you’re not a fan, leave it out!
- Taco seasoning – you can make your own or use store bought! My favorite is Spice Islands Taco Seasoning
Step By Step Instructions To Make Quinoa Stuffed Peppers with Ground Turkey
Cook quinoa, brown the turkey and steam the bell peppers
Rinse quinoa in a fine-mesh colander for 30 seconds and drain. Combine quinoa and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to until water is simmering, then cook quinoa for 15 minutes. Set aside.
While the quinoa is cooking, in a skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and cook the turkey until browned. While the turkey is cooking, set bell peppers in a steamer and fill the pan with 1″ of water. Steam bell peppers for 5 minutes. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine quinoa, black beans, corn, cilantro and turkey.
Combine cooked quinoa, black beans, corn, cilantro and turkey and toss to combine.
Place bell pepper in baking dish
In an oven-safe baking dish, place steamed bell peppers cut side up and fill the cavity with quinoa turkey mixture.
Top with shredded cheese and bake
Bake the peppers at 350 for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
FAQs and Expert tips For these Turkey Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Can these be made ahead of time? These Mexican Quinoa stuffed peppers are perfect for meal prep! To freeze for later in the week, put the assembled belle peppers in a freezer-safe container with a lid, or cover with a layer of plastic wrap, then foil. Remove the plastic wrap and bake straight from frozen!
Top them! Love extra toppings? You can add some guacamole, sour cream, or a sprinkle of queso fresco!
Prefer chicken or beef? Ground chicken, shredded rotisserie chicken or ground beef can be substituted for the ground turkey. Brown the ground beef or ground chicken like you would the ground turkey and toss in the bowl. If you’re using shredded rotisserie chicken, skip the cooking step and move right to the bowl! This is a great way to use up a leftover rotisserie chicken.
Additional Mexican Recipes to try
- 5 Minute Fresh Tomato Salsa
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Mexican Pasta Salad
- Fruit salsa
- Cod Fish Tacos
- Low Carb Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- Easy Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Thanks for reading! If you make this recipe please come back and let me know how you like it by leaving a rating and review.Print
Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
These Quinoa Stuffed Peppers with turkey and Mexican flavors are a 30 minute dinner and perfect for meal prep! Try it with homemade salsa for a quick and healthy meal!
3 bell peppers, halved stem to tip, seeds removed
1/2 pound ground turkey
3 tablespoon taco seasoning
4 oz tomato sauce
1/2 cup corn
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup black beans
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 ounce shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions, cool and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and cook the turkey until browned. Add tomato sauce and taco seasoning and mix to combine. Turn off heat.
- While the turkey is cooking, set bell peppers in a steamer and fill pan with 1″ of water. Steam bell peppers for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, black beans, corn, cilantro and turkey.
- Combine cooked quinoa, black beans, corn, cilantro and turkey and toss to combine.
- In an oven safe baking dish, place steamed bell peppers cut side up and fill the cavity with quinoa turkey mixture.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve with sliced avocado, guacamole or salsa!
Make Ahead Instructions
These Mexican Quinoa stuffed peppers are perfect for meal prep! To freeze for later in the week, put the assembled belle peppers in a freezer-safe container with a lid, or cover with a layer of plastic wrap, then foil. Remove the plastic wrap and bake straight from frozen!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 pepper half
- Calories: 267
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 18 g
Keywords: Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers, Quinoa Stuffed Peppers, Quinoa and Turkey Stuffed Peppers
Healthy, easy to make and yummy! Everything I love in a weeknight dinner:) Thanks!
It’s the perfect full-flavored highly nutritious meal. I love that it’s so easy to prepare.
Interesting!! I have often made stuffed peppers but never thought of dividing them into halves! I will try your trick and the recipe!!
Love stuffed peppers! Prepped these on Sunday and then baked them later in the week. Delicious!
Steaming the bell peppers makes this such a quick dinner! I love the stuffed peppers warmed up for lunch the next day too.