This Stuffed Spaghetti Squash with ricotta, marinara, cheese and chicken sausage is a lower carb alternative to pasta, but still cheesy and comforting! It only takes 30 minutes of hands on time and is ready in under an hour!
1 large spaghetti squash (about 3 ½ to 4 pounds)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
12 ounces cooked chicken sausages, red pepper or Italian flavor
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¾ teaspoon salt
2 cup marinara sauce
¼ cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
¾ cup part skim ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
1. Cook Spaghetti Squash: Cut spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out seeds and place cut side down side by side in a casserole dish. Add 1 cup water. Cover with a layer of parchment and then plastic wrap. Microwave for 10 minutes. Press on the outer shell of the spaghetti squash to see if it gives with the pressure of your finger (caution it will be hot!) If it is still hard microwave in 5 minute intervals until it is softened.
2. Test For Doneness: Carefully remove the plastic and parchment and flip the spaghetti squash over. Test that it is done by lifting up the strands of spaghetti squash with a fork. If there it doesn’t pull into strands easily, microwave in 2 minute intervals until it is done.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage, onion, oregano and salt and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is softened and browned, about 7 minutes. Stir in sauce and remove from the heat.
4. Scrape the spaghetti squash strands with a fork. Scoop them out with a spoon into the skillet. Leave a ¼-inch to ½-inch layer of un-scooped strands on the shell to help the squash halves retain their shape.
5. Stir the squash “noodles” and basil into the chicken sausage mixture and then return the spaghetti squash mixture to the shells. Top with dollops of the ricotta cheese. Top with the Italian cheese blend, dividing between the two squash halves.
6. Microwave uncovered until the stuffed spaghetti squash is bubbling hot and the cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve sprinkled with basil if desired.
To make this vegetarian
Substitute vegetarian sausage for the chicken sausage or omit all together.
To make this in the oven:
Set the squash halves in the baking dish and add water as directed, but do not cover with parchment or plastic wrap. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees F. Test for doneness in the same manner as described above. To melt the cheese in the final step, bake for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 422
- Sugar: 12 g
- Fat: 22 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 27 g