Clean eating recipe for curry butternut squash soup with coconut milk. It is vegan, paleo, whole 30 and naturally gluten-free.
I know you guys are probably totally over squash soup now, but I am obsessed with this soup. I think it is the perfect foil for the richness of the holiday season. We’re not even halfway through the holiday season, and we have already been to so many events every weekend, and even mid-week. I am sure you have too. That’s why I decided to share this curry butternut squash soup recipe with you all.
This butternut squash soup is so flavorful and creamy, even though it is completely vegan. It is just what the body needs! Honest, clean, nourishing food. It’ll set you straight. It did me!
Creating This Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
I made this the first time with a four-pound butternut squash. Normally I peel, seed, and then cube squash, but with this soup you don’t have to. It’s the slacker method. (I mean this in the best way possible, by the way.) I just cut it in half, scooped out the seeds and set it on a parchment-lined baking sheet. I roasted it until it was soft. It gets pureed anyway, so why bother cubing it? The second time I made it I used a buttercup squash, and it was equally delicious and had great flavor. Just scoop the soft squash out of the skin and you’re ready to go.
The flavor comes from what happens next. I sautéed the onion and curry in a soup pot. I have to say, taking the time to caramelize the onions a touch and to bloom the curry in the oil makes all the difference when you’re cooking with clean ingredients. I also made it once with some Afghani spice blend instead of curry and that was great as well, and not too spicy for my girls.
I also added just enough lemon to brighten up the flavors. It balances the creamy sweetness.
I was going to add some cashew cream to make it creamy, but I went with the slacker route again, and just poured in a can of organic light coconut milk. I love the way the coconut goes with the curry.
I used my immersion blender to puree the soup. If you use your blender, just be super careful that the top doesn’t shoot off! That happens for some reason when you puree hot soups.
More Clean Eating Recipes You’ll Love This Month
Dairy Free Pumpkin Sweet Potato Soup with garlic onion and coconut! Yum!
Instant Pot Veggie Curry with chickpeas and delicata squash- a new favorite!!
Chopped Winter Salad my favorite salad at this time of year!
Delicata Squash Salad with Pickled Onions Because salad without lettuce is oh so right!
Have you been to any holiday parties?
Do you feel like you need to cut through the richness with some healthier fare?
Have you tried roasting butternut or buttercup squash before?Print
A clean eating recipe for curry butternut squash soup that is vegan, paleo, and naturally gluten-free. It’s the perfect meal when it’s chilly outside!
- 1 4-pound butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise and seeds scooped out
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or coconut oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 tablespoon curry powder or Afghani spice blend
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 cups no-chicken or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
- cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay squash cut-side down on the parchment and bake until flesh is very tender when pierced with a knife, about 1 hour. Turn cut side up and cool until cool enough to handle, about 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often until starting to brown, reducing heat as necessary to prevent scorching, 6 to 10 minutes. Add spice, and stir to coat. Cooking stirring until fragrant but not darkening, 30 to 90 seconds. Stir in lemon juice.
- Add broth, salt and pepper and increase heat to high to bring the soup to a simmer.
- Scoop the flesh from the squash and discard the skin. Break into large chunks and add the squash flesh to the soup. Return to a simmer, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are tender and the squash is completely falling apart, about 10 minutes.
- Add coconut milk to the soup, and stir to combine.
- Puree the soup in the blender in batches or with an immersion blender. (USE CAUTION WHEN BLENDING HOT LIQUIDS). Gently heat without boiling.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 180
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 240 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: curry butternut squash soup, vegan butternut squash soup, vegan soup recipe