A clean eating recipe for curry butternut squash soup that is vegan, paleo, and naturally gluten-free. It’s the perfect meal when it’s chilly outside!
- 1 4-pound butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise and seeds scooped out
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or coconut oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 tablespoon curry powder or Afghani spice blend
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 cups no-chicken or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
- cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay squash cut-side down on the parchment and bake until flesh is very tender when pierced with a knife, about 1 hour. Turn cut side up and cool until cool enough to handle, about 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often until starting to brown, reducing heat as necessary to prevent scorching, 6 to 10 minutes. Add spice, and stir to coat. Cooking stirring until fragrant but not darkening, 30 to 90 seconds. Stir in lemon juice.
- Add broth, salt and pepper and increase heat to high to bring the soup to a simmer.
- Scoop the flesh from the squash and discard the skin. Break into large chunks and add the squash flesh to the soup. Return to a simmer, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are tender and the squash is completely falling apart, about 10 minutes.
- Add coconut milk to the soup, and stir to combine.
- Puree the soup in the blender in batches or with an immersion blender. (USE CAUTION WHEN BLENDING HOT LIQUIDS). Gently heat without boiling.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 180
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 240 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: curry butternut squash soup, vegan butternut squash soup, vegan soup recipe