roasted butternut squash with smoked paprika and turmeric
You’re gonna love this vegan and paleo recipe for roasted butternut squash with smoked paprika and turmeric. Not only is it gluten-free but only takes 10 minutes to get it in the oven.
I wrote this recipe in about 90 seconds. Okay maybe it took two minutes. It only took me 10 minutes to get it in the oven. And the photos just happened. Like that. It was no effort at all. Thank goodness, because I am completely in the weeds.
But then I get here to my computer screen and I don’t know what to call this recipe. Calling it simply “Roasted Butternut Squash” would be a huge disservice to this magical dish, and ignoring the fact that it has so much added flavor.
Calling it smoky would work for sure, because it is. But it is so much more than that. Other name contenders were “Umami Roasted Butternut Squash.” “Savory Butternut Squash” (I’ve already sort of used that one.) And even “The Best Roasted Butternut Squash.” It’s not that I don’t think it is the best roasted butternut squash, it actually is, it’s just when I go and make a statement like that I feel like I have to come up with a long list of reasons why it is the best, and I am just not up for that right now.
Ultimately, because I just needed to get something on paper I named it Roasted Butternut Squash with Smoked Paprika and Turmeric. I know. Lame. But I did. Even though a gigantic name like that makes it sound complicated or fancy. It isn’t. ‘Cuz I just said it only took me 10 minutes to get it in the oven.
How to Make Roasted Butternut Squash
- If you have sensitive skin, you may want to wear vinyl gloves to peel the squash because it has so much Vitamin A in it, it will actually cause the skin on your palms to peel a bit!
- Cut the stem off the butternut squash with a sharp Chef’s knife. Then cut off the bottom. Peel the butternut squash with a sharp vegetable peeler.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise (from stem-end to base) and scoop out the seeds and fibers with a spoon.
- Cut the squash into cubes and then toss with the spices and oil.
- One of the other really cool things about this recipe, besides the fact that it’s so dang easy, is that it has turmeric in it, which is gaining in popularity. That’s probably due to the fact that, scientific evidence is pointing toward potential health benefits like anti-inflammatory properties from the curcumin in it.
- Roast the butternut squash at 375 degrees. A hotter oven will over-brown the squash before it is tender all the way through. That is due to the naturally occurring sugars in the squash.
- Once it comes out of the oven, add on some parsely for a bit of color if you like.
- This squash can be made ahead and reheated. Either in the oven or microwave. So it makes a great meal prep side or to serve on Thanksgiving.
So that’s all there is to it. It is yummy, smoky, savory. The best. It is also paleo and vegan and gluten-free and hashtagarama. Easy. I could go on.
Okay, enough already. I have to get back to those weeds. Now it is your turn. What do you guys think? What would you have named this?
Thanks for reading! If you’re new here you may want to sign up for my email list or follow me on facebook to keep up with the latest posts. And if you try this recipe, please come back to give it a star rating and review!
MORE YUMMY SQUASH RECIPESPrint
Vegan and paleo recipe for roasted butternut squash with smoked paprika and turmeric. Gluten-free and only takes 10 minutes to get it in the oven.
- 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes (8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon McCormick Ground Turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Toss squash cubes with oil, paprika, salt, turmeric and garlic powder in a large bowl to coat. Spread out on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once or twice, until the squash is tender, and starting to brown in spots, 32 to 37 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 250 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
You may also like