slow cooker white bean stew with chicken and ham
This slow cooker white bean and ham stew with chicken and kale is so easy, just set it and forget it. It is the perfect cooler weather recipe that will bubble away on your counter top all day.
This is the first year that my girls are taking an after school team sport. Up until now, after school activities have been things like swimming lessons and ballet. Now we’re adding in soccer and it is kind of rocking my world. Three days a week plus Saturday mornings too. For the rest of the fall we’ll be rolling in from soccer at 6:45 pm. Then somehow we’re supposed to get them fed, showered and ready for bed. Not to mention fitting home work in there somewhere.
Give me strength.
I’m thinking that the only way I am going to survive is with my new best friend the slow cooker.
Prepare yourselves for more of these kind of set it and forget it kind of meals showing up here in the months to come.
Not only does having a slow cooker meal make life more doable, but it makes the house smell so cozy! The smoky ham, herbs and pinch of nutmeg make it smell so yummy when we walk in the door!
Just stir the fresh sage and kale in for the last hour of cooking for the best flavor and texture. If you can’t do that because you don’t have time, that’s fine, just add them in the beginning. But don’t add the salt and acid until the very end (they’ll keep the beans from cooking correctly.)
[box type=”1″ class=”rounded-5 shadow” width=”480″]
Thank you for reading. If you’re new here you may want to sign up for my email list or follow me on facebook to keep up with the latest posts.
Slow Cooker White Bean Stew with Chicken, Ham and Kale. Fresh sage plus a pinch of nutmeg add flavor to this fix it and forget it crockpot meal. Gluten-free and grain-free.
- 1 medium onion
- 8 cups water, or home-made unsalted chicken broth
- 1 pound navy beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 cups cubed ham, about 12 ounces
- 1 ½ teaspoons Herbes de Provence
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups chopped kale, no ribs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 6 teaspoons red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Stir onion, water or stock, beans, chicken, ham, herbs de provence, pepper and nutmeg in the insert of a large slow cooker. Cover and set for low heat for 8 hours.
- When timer has 1 hour remaining, stir in kale, sage, vinegar or lemon and salt, cover and continue cooking until the timer goes off about 1 hour later. Garnish with parsley before serving.
- Calories: 126
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 378 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 14 g
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THESE RECIPES: