Crockpot Ham and Bean Stew with Chicken
This slow cooker white bean and ham stew with chicken and kale is so easy–just set it and forget it. It is the perfect cooler weather recipe that will bubble away on your countertop all day.
Table of contents
Why We Love This Recipe For Crockpot Bean Stew
With a busy season ahead, I am all about the make-ahead meals right now! So prepare yourselves for many more of these “set it and forget it” kind of recipes to show up here in the months to come.
Not only does having a slow cooker meal make life more doable, but it makes the house smell so cozy! The smoky ham, herbs and pinch of nutmeg make it smell so yummy when we walk in the door!
Just stir the fresh sage and kale in for the last hour of cooking for the best flavor and texture. If you can’t do that because you don’t have time, that’s fine, just add them in the beginning. But don’t add the salt and acid until the very end (they’ll keep the beans from cooking correctly).
Ingredients For This Recipe
Navy beans are very closely related to the larger cannelloni bean. They have a very soft and silky texture, and are a great source of fiber. They pair extremely well with meat, and are wonderful in stews and soups (which is exactly why I chose them for this recipe!).
I love using ham in recipes. It’s so salty, which makes it a great match for those velvety white navy beans. I love buying an extra large piece of ham when I make this stew because I can use it for other recipes as well, such as this Slow Cooker Ham Barley Soup with Spinach Pesto, or just eat it plain with a side of mashed potatoes. Yum!
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
I know this stew already has ham, but hey, two proteins are better than one, right? Chicken thighs don’t always get the best rep, but trust me. They are so juicy and packed with meaty flavor, and as long as you cut off the excess fat, they’re not any worse for you than chicken breasts.
Step-by-Step Instructions For This Slow Cooker Ham And Bean Stew Recipe
Step 1: Combine ingredients & cook
Stir to combine the onion, water or stock, beans, chicken, ham, herbs de Provence, pepper and nutmeg in the insert of a large slow cooker. Cover and set over low heat for 8 hours.
Step 2: Add kale & other seasonings
When the timer has 1 hour remaining, stir in the kale, sage, vinegar or lemon and salt, then cover and continue to cook until the timer goes off, about 1 hour later. Garnish with parsley before serving.
FAQs and Expert Tips
If you don’t have navy beans or can’t find them, use white Cannellini beans or Great Northern beans.
Although this soup requires very little prep and very few steps, it does have to simmer for quite some time. If you want, you could make this in advance, then freeze the soup in individual containers. Simply remove the container from the freezer a few hours before, and finish dethawing in the microwave or on the stove. If you have a busy morning, feel free to set the soup up in the slow cooker insert and refrigerate overnight.
Yes it will work fine in larger models. If you don’t have a regular crockpot, simply use the slow cooker setting on your Instant pot.
You don’t technically need either to make this recipe. It just makes it so that you can let it sit and cook all day without having to tend to it. However, if you find yourself craving this soup randomly for dinner one night, just make it in a large pot on the stove, and simmer for an hour or so, until all the flavors have melded together.
Additional Hearty Soups and Stew Recipes To Try
- This Slow Cooker Vegetable Bean Soup is hearty and delicious and vegan too!
- My Minestrone Soup is another veggie-packed soup to try.
- This Lentil Soup is on the Best of Healthy Seasonal Recipes list because it is an all-time favorite!
- Don’t miss our Corn Chowder either. It is made with fresh corn cut off the cob and thickened with potatoes instead of roux.
- Don’t miss this veggie and sausage stew: Slow Cooker Kielbasa, Cabbage and Potato Soup or this Potato Kale and Andouille Soup either.
- This Slow Cooker Chinese 5-Spice Beef Stew will warm you up on the inside!
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Okra is more of a stew than soup, but it is another great slow cooker meal.
Thanks so much for reading! If you are new here, you may want to sign up for my email newsletter to get a free weekly menu plan and the latest recipes right to your inbox. If you make this recipe, please come back and leave a star rating and review. I would love to hear what you thought!
Happy Cooking! ~KatiePrint
Slow Cooker White Bean Stew with Chicken, Ham and Kale. Fresh sage plus a pinch of nutmeg add flavor to this fix it and forget it crockpot meal. Gluten-free and grain-free.
- 1 medium onion
- 8 cups water, or home-made unsalted chicken broth
- 1 pound navy beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 cups cubed ham, about 12 ounces
- 1 ½ teaspoons Herbes de Provence
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups chopped kale, no ribs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 6 teaspoons red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Stir onion, water or stock, beans, chicken, ham, herbs de provence, pepper and nutmeg in the insert of a large slow cooker. Cover and set for low heat for 8 hours.
- When timer has 1 hour remaining, stir in kale, sage, vinegar or lemon and salt, cover and continue cooking until the timer goes off about 1 hour later. Garnish with parsley before serving.
Assemble the stew in the insert of the slow cooker and refrigerate, covered, overnight. Place in the slow cooker and follow instructions for cooking.
This recipe can be frozen up to three months. Chill before sealing in a storage container and freeze. To thaw, transfer to the refrigerator and let thaw for two days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 126
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 378 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 14 g
Keywords: Slow Cooker white bean soup,Slow Cooker soup with chicken and ham,chicken and ham soup,chicken and white bean soup,ham and bean soup,