Slow Cooker White Bean Stew with Chicken, Ham and Kale. Fresh sage plus a pinch of nutmeg add flavor to this fix it and forget it crockpot meal. Gluten-free and grain-free.
- 1 medium onion
- 8 cups water, or home-made unsalted chicken broth
- 1 pound navy beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 cups cubed ham, about 12 ounces
- 1 ½ teaspoons Herbes de Provence
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups chopped kale, no ribs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 6 teaspoons red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Stir onion, water or stock, beans, chicken, ham, herbs de provence, pepper and nutmeg in the insert of a large slow cooker. Cover and set for low heat for 8 hours.
- When timer has 1 hour remaining, stir in kale, sage, vinegar or lemon and salt, cover and continue cooking until the timer goes off about 1 hour later. Garnish with parsley before serving.
- Calories: 126
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 378 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 14 g