Cucumber Noodles with Lemon Basil
These cucumber noodles with lemon basil takes just 10 minutes to make. They’re a cool, crispy side when you want an alternative to a basic cucumber salad or a slaw made with cabbage.
Table of contents
Why We Love This Recipe For Cucumber Noodles with Lemon Basil
Cucumbers are a highlight of the summer produce calendar. They’re so refreshing and can be used in a variety of ways–from salads to cocktails to snacks (see my list of 25 Healthy Cucumber Recipes as proof). Recently, I used my mandoline and made this delicious cucumber noodle salad in about 10 minutes. The best part was the thinly sliced lemon basil. It made it seem much more complicated than it was and tasted so fresh and delicious. (Go ahead and make it with other types of basil if you don’t have lemon basil.)
- Only 63 calories per serving!
- You only need 6 ingredients to make these clean eating cucumber noodles
- Just 10 minutes to make.
- It’s a low-carb, paleo and vegan recipe.
Key Ingredients For This Recipe
- For the dressing: shallot, white wine vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, kosher salt.
- Cucumbers: Any type of cucumber works here. You will need to deseed them.
- Lemon Basil: You could also use regular or Thai basil.
How to Make Clean Eating Cucumber Noodles
Whisk together the shallot, vinegar, oil and salt in a large bowl. Add the cucumber and basil and toss to coat. Serve the cucumber noodles immediately.
FAQs and Expert Tips
These cucumber noodles are best eaten immediately, but if you need to store leftovers, keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 day. Any longer than that and they will get too soggy which is why I don’t recommend making them ahead.
Julienne means slicing food into even-sized matchsticks. For this recipe first deseed the cucumber by slicing it in half lengthwise and scraping out the seeds with a spoon. Slice off and discard the ends, then cut the cucumber into 2 inch length. Cut each 2-inch length into thin slices. Stack those slices and cut into matchsticks. If you have a mandolin, go ahead and use that instead. You can also use a spiralizer too!
Chiffonade is a type of knife cut where you cut something into thin ribbon-like strips. For the basil, separate the leaves, stack on top of each other and then roll them up like a cigar. Slice through the cigar into thin strips.
Give this salad an Asian flare by adding a dash of ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil to the dressing. Sprinkle it with sesame seeds and red pepper flakes for added spice, if desired.
More Recipes with Cucumbers and Basil
- If you haven’t had pesto on pizza before, you must try my Grilled Pesto Pizza. It’s delicious.
- I put this Classic basil Pesto on everything–pasta, pizza, chicken, salads, you name it.
- This Chicken and Chickpea Green Goddess Salad is an easy lunch or dinner recipe for any day of the week.
- Pesto Salmon Salad Nicose anyone? How good doesn’t that sound!
Thanks so much for reading! If you are new here, you may want to sign up for my email newsletter to get a free weekly menu plan and the latest recipes right to your inbox. If you make this recipe, please come back and leave a star rating and review. I would love to hear what you thought!
Happy Cooking! ~KatiePrint
This clean eating salad made with cucumber cut into noodles with lemon basil takes just 10 minutes to make. It is low-carb, paleo and vegan.
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds cucumbers, julienne cut (no seeds)
- 1/3 cup chiffonade cut lemon basil or regular basil * see tip
- Whisk shallot, vinegar, oil and salt in a large bowl. Add cucumber and basil and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Cooking Tip: Chiffonade is a culinary term for a type of knife cut. It means to cut into thin ribbon-like strips.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: salad
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 63
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 175 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 1 g
Keywords: cucumber noodles,cucumber noodle salad