5-ingredient grilled pesto pizza
Yesterday I promised to bring you a vegetarian, family-friendly recipe for the grill, and here it is! It is a five-ingredient grilled pesto pizza that is ready in just 20 minutes!
I made it using my home-made multi-grain pizza dough and my 5-minute classic basil pesto. It came together in a snap. If you’ve never tried grilling a pizza before, there are a few things you need to know about how to get the pizza on and off the grill successfully. I have learned the hard way, that there are certain things you need to do to have a happy dinner.
Tips for Grilling Pizza
- Have everything you need ready to go. This is called your mise en place. So I like to set up a little station next to the grill so that I’m ready to go when the crust is toasty. For this recipe you’ll need the rolled out dough, pesto with a little spatula for spreading, sliced tomato, cheddar and tongs.
- Use a pizza peel or un-rimmed baking sheet to get your dough on the grill. You just need to make sure that you use a lot of flour or cornmeal on the peel or baking sheet so the dough won’t stick and it will slide off easily onto the grill.
- You have to oil the grill rack. To oil the grill soak a clean paper towel with oil. Hold the paper towel with some tongs and then pull the towel toward you running it along the grill grate. Keeping it working toward you will help prevent flare-ups from burning your arm. Keep in mind it is important to do this right before you put the pizza dough onto the grill. If you wait too long before putting the dough onto it, the oil will burn off.
This recipe also appears on Rachel Cooks. If you have never visited over at Rachel’s blog, I think you’ll really like it. She is a busy mom just like me, and she loves to share healthy family-friendly meals on her blog. Follow her on Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest.
Speaking of being busy, I have a side note that is totally unrelated to pizza. I just signed up for the training to become an instructor for Les Mills Body Attack in Boston next month. Yikes! I am going down for a two day sweat-a-thon and mind-bending training session to learn how to teach the best aerobics class ever. We are bringing Attack in at my club, BodyResolution next month, and I hope to start teaching some time in October. I am sort of scared, but really excited.
Have you ever grilled pizza?
Do you take group fitness classes?Print
Don’t miss this vegetarian, family-friendly recipe for the grill! It is a five-ingredient grilled pesto pizza that is ready in just 20 minutes!
- 1 1-lb to 1.25-lb. ball pizza dough, preferably whole-grain
- All-purpose flour and/or cornmeal for dusting
- ½ cup basil pesto
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Dust work surface with flour. Roll pizza dough out to 15 to 16 inches. Sprinkle flour or cornmeal on a large un-rimmed baking sheet or pizza peel. Transfer the pizza dough to the baking sheet or peel.
- Brush grill grate to clean it and oil it with an oil soaked towel. Slide the dough off the baking sheet or peel onto the grill and cook until it is firmed up and crisped on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Carefully, Flip the dough over using the peel or tongs and baking sheet. Spread the pesto over the dough. Top with tomatoes and cheddar. Cover the grill and cook until the cheese is melted and the bottom of the crust is crispy, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cuisine: American