Friends, I’m here to tell you today this Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup is one of the Best Healthy Seasonal Recipes ever. And it just happens to be naturally gluten-free and vegan!
I originally shared this recipe on March 6, 2012. I have updated the images and some of the text today.
There are times in recipe development when the stars align and a keeper is born. This soup is one of those recipes. It is so darned delicious that I can’t wait for you to try it. I am officially obsessed!
The idea for this recipe came from NPR, actually. I was listening to the Writer’s Almanac with Garrison Keillor and it was George Washington’s birthday. Mr. Keillor mentioned that George Washington’s favorite foods were “mashed sweet potatoes with coconut, string beans with mushrooms, cream of peanut soup, salt cod, and pineapples.” And that was all I needed. My twisted little brain just mixed together sweet potato with coconut and peanut soup an obsession began.
And now it’s not just me who’s so crazed over it. I served it to friends and they were dying over it. After having some, my friend said she was thinking about it while she was lying in bed later. My husband who is often (a little too) reticent with the compliments even went out of his way to declare “This soup is special!” I think you’ll agree. I know George Washington would.
What makes this soup even better is that it is super simple to make. Seriously, if you can boil water… you can make this amazing vegan soup!
How to Make this Vegan Sweet Potato Peanut Soup
- Sauté the onion and garlic just until the onions start to soften and brown.
- Add celery, broth, sweet potato and salt and simmer until the potatoes are very soft.
- Puree the soup first.
- Then puree the coconut milk and peanuts in a blender. The peanuts become creamy- but add a rich peanut taste once you add the mixture back to the pot to reheat and get acquainted with the sweet potato.
- Don’t forget your lively garnishes…. cilantro, chopped peanuts and Sriracha!
- That’s it! Enjoy!
If you don’t believe me, check out this video. You’ll see for yourself that this soup is all that and then some!
Don’t miss checking out these other delicious sweet potato recipes from my blogging buddies and me…
roasted sweet potato, chickpea and kale salad bowls | Gimme Some Oven
sweet potato taco bowls | Chelsea’s Messy Apron
melting sweet potatoes | Foodie with Family
mexicali stuffed sweet potatoes | Eating Bird FoodPrint
This Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup is one of the Best of Healthy Seasonal Recipes ever. And it just happens to be naturally gluten-free and vegan!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium onions diced, about 3 cups
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth, such as Imagine No Chicken
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 to 2-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 13-ounce can “lite” coconut milk
- ¾ cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Chopped cilantro, chopped peanuts and Sriracha for garnish
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often until the onion is starting to soften and brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add celery, broth, sweet potato and salt, increase heat to high, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, removing lid to stir occasionally, until the potatoes are very soft and fall apart when tested with a fork or tongs, about 15 minutes.
- Puree about half of the soup in a blender in two batches and add back to the pot. Puree the coconut milk and peanuts in a blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Stir the coconut mixture and the lime juice into the soup. Gently stir over low heat to warm through. Do not boil. Serve garnished with cilantro, chopped peanuts and Sriracha to taste.
- Calories: 163
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 559 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: peanut,sweet potato,coconut,vegan,soup
Here are the original images associated with this blog post.