cheddar chipotle sweet potato soup
This Cheddar Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup is smooth baby! It gets a smoky kick from chipotle and a tangy burst from sharp cheddar making it an awesome vegetarian fall meal that will warm you up from the inside out. It is gluten free and grain free, too!
Disclosure: I originally shared this recipe here on Healthy Seasonal Recipes on February 14, 2014. I have updated the images and some of the text today. I developed this recipe in partnership with Cabot Creamery Cooperative and the recipe also appears on their website.
This creamy dreamy soup is a sure crowd pleaser because it combines the flavors of BFFs Chipotle and Sweet Potato with sharp cheddar cheese. I added in a bit of cider vinegar, for contrast and brightness. It helps balance the sweetness from the onion and sweet potatoes.
Each two-cup serving is filling enough to serve as a vegetarian main course along with a hunk of crusty whole-grain farm bread, or these savory muffins with leeks and Parmesan. And this super yummy Gluten-Free Applesauce Bread by Meaningful Eats would be a perfect ending to this Fall Feast!
It freezes really well. Which makes me happy because I like to serve soup for dinner one night and then freeze the left-overs in single serving storage containers for lunches. My hubbie is all about packing his lunch now (and it helped him lose weight just from that one simple change.)
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
They are chocked full of vitamins like B6, C and D
- B6 helps fight against degenerative diseases like heart attacks.
- C is super helpful in keeping those pesky colds and the flu away.
- D also aids the immune system and helps build healthy bones.
They are a good source of magnesium
- A majority of people are deficient in this vital mineral.
- It is necessary for artery, blood, bone, heart, muscle and nerve function.
They are high in carotenoids
- Signified by their orange color.
- Antioxidants that protect against cancer and have anti-aging properties.
- Helps strengthen eyesight.
Don’t cause blood sugar spikes
- Their natural sugars are slowly released into the bloodstream.
- No sugar coma after eating these babies.
This Cheddar Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup gets a smoky kick from chipotle and a tangy burst from sharp cheddar making it an awesome vegetarian fall meal. Gluten free and grain free, too!
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 ½ inch chunks
- 6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, minced or more to taste
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 sliced scallions, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and salt and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is softened and starting to brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in cumin and cinnamon and cook until the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add sweet potatoes and broth, cover, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a gentle simmer, and cook, uncovered until the potatoes are completely soft and falling apart, about 20 minutes. Add chili and vinegar and remove from the heat.
- Working in batches, carefully transfer a few cups of the sweet potato mixture to a blender and puree. Use caution when pureeing hot liquids. Alternatively use an immersion blender. Stir cheddar into the soup until completely melted. Serve immediately with the scallions on top.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 208
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 712 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 21 mg
Here are the original images associated with this blog post.