This Cheddar Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup gets a smoky kick from chipotle and a tangy burst from sharp cheddar making it an awesome vegetarian fall meal. Gluten free and grain free, too!
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 ½ inch chunks
- 6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, minced or more to taste
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 sliced scallions, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and salt and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is softened and starting to brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in cumin and cinnamon and cook until the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add sweet potatoes and broth, cover, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a gentle simmer, and cook, uncovered until the potatoes are completely soft and falling apart, about 20 minutes.
- Add chipotle chili and vinegar and remove from the heat.
- Working in batches, carefully transfer a few cups of the sweet potato mixture to a blender and puree. Use caution when pureeing hot liquids. Alternatively use an immersion blender.
- Stir cheddar into the soup until completely melted. Serve immediately with the scallions on top.
Take care when pureeing hot soup as the pressure inside the blender can cause the lid to pop off which is very dangerous! hold down the lid with a kitchen towel as you puree and don’t overfill it!
Make Ahead Notes
This soup is best made fresh as the cheddar is kind of tricky to reheat. If you do want to make it ahead:
- Do not add the cheddar in the final step.
- Cool completely before sealing closed in a resealable container.
- Refrigerate for up to four days or freeze for one month.
- Heat until steaming hot on the stovetop (stirring often) or in the microwave.
- Stir cheddar into the soup once it is hot.
- Serve with the scallions.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 208
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 712 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 21 mg
Keywords: Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup, Sweet Potato Cheddar Soup