You know how sometimes, you’re too tired to cook, and too tired to go out. And you just aren’t feeling it in the kitchen? Ou start dreaming that you were the kind of person that would stock pizza in your freezer. Like lacking in motivation and inspiration is an understatement? I get there. Not very often, but when it happens, it is so hard to get out. Especially when it is cold, and all that is around for seasonal veggies are a few random roots. How inspiring is that? Answer: not at all.
So I was feeling that way, when a package arrived on my doorstep from Hayley and Bill of Primal Palate. For me? From superstar bloggers and Paleo gurus? Wow! When I opened it up, I felt totally honored that they’d send me their latest cookbook, Make it Paleo II. It is almost enough to get my duffintothekitchen today. And then I opened the book. It is filled with majorly yummy looking recipes. OMG, the ENTIRE meat chapter needs to get into my belly. Now! Okay cooking, yes, I can do this.
I loved reading the intro and learned a ton about paleo cooking. There are lots of different ways of adapting the paleo diet, and this book really seemed to lay out the facts in a clear way. There are notes on each recipe letting you know at a glance which are dairy free, nightshade free and nut free. Pretty cool. Oh, and they also threw in an awesome Euro sticker for my car, “I Don’t Eat Crap.” Lol.
So since I was lamenting lack of inspiration for roots, I thought it would be appropriate to try their Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Citrus Dressing. It just looked so easy. Baby steps toward kitchen motivation. Perfect for the way I am feeling today.
Guys, the recipe was more delicious than my wildest expectations. There is something sublime about the coconut and lemon and sweet potato and cilantro. Somehow, the combination of these ingredients together is better than the sum of the parts. So much so that I am inspired to cook like crazy again. Phew. I was starting to worry.
Who else wants a copy of Make it Paleo II???? Just leave a comment below and then use the Rafflecopter widget to earn a chance to win a free copy to inspire you too!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Roasted sweet potatoes with coconut oil, tossed with bright and fresh citrus dressing with cilantro, shallot and chive.
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾-inch chunks (2.5 pounds)
- 4 ½ teaspoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ medium shallot, minced
- ¼ cup extra- virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- pinch salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ lemon, zested
- Make Potatoes: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Toss potatoes, coconut oil, 1 teaspoon sea salt in a large bowl. Spread out onto a large rimmed baking sheet, and transfer to the oven. Roast, stirring once or twice, until the potatoes are soft and browned, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Make Dressing: Meanwhile, whisk shallot, oil, cilantro, lemon juice, water, chives, coconut sugar, pinch salt and pepper in the bowl.
- Add hot roasted potatoes to the dressing and toss to coat. Transfer to serving dish and garnish with lemon zest. Serve warm or cold.
0 mg Cholesterol, 1.3 g Added Sugar
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 166
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 409 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 1.3 g