Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup with shredded chicken and corn and veggies is a healthy easy dinner to make in your crockpot! The crunchy baked tortilla strips and cheesecake it a delicious family-friendly meal.
I originally shared this recipe on September 25th, 2017. I have updated some of the text today.
Table of contents
- Why Try Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Ingredient Notes For Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instructions For This Chicken Tortilla Slow Cooker Soup
- Make Ahead, Leftovers, Storage and Reheating
- Serving Suggestions for Crockpot Tortilla Chicken Soup
- Variations To Try For Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- More Chicken Soup Recipes To Try
- More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes:
Why Try Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
I adore this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup and is the latest addition to the Best of Healthy Seasonal Recipes. It’s one of the select few soups in addition to my Vegetarian Lentil Soup, this easy healthy Minestrone and my Vegan Vegetable Soup that can claim the honor.
No Chicken Tortilla Soup is complete without crunchy tortillas on top. We made ours in the oven with only a small amount of oil to keep this recipe healthy and lower in calories. We also added on a small amount of Monterey Jack cheese for authentic flavor.
Serve this in the winter or shoulder seasons, for a hands-off weeknight meal or on a weekend packed with activities. We love all the fresh veggies, lean chicken and delicious crunchy tortilla strips!
I can’t wait for you to try it! If you make this recipe, please be sure to come back and let me know what you think. For more healthy Mexican Food Recipes check out these here.
Chicken tortilla soup has many variations and has been adopted by home cooks all over. It is said to have originated in Mexico City. Traditional versions are made with chicken broth, but not necessarily chicken meat. Unlike our healthy baked version, in traditional Tortilla Soup, the tortillas are usually fried.
Ingredient Notes For Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Low-sodium chicken broth
If you use regular chicken broth in this chicken tortilla soup recipe, your soup will be way too salty. However, if you can’t find low-sodium broth at your grocery store or simply forgot to buy it, scale back on the amount of salt you add to the soup and it should turn out fine!
You’ll need the following spices for the broth:
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- pinch cinnamon
To kick up the heat a bit in this soup, feel free to add in a little more chili powder or chipotle chili powder. If you’re serving this soup to kids, I’d recommend using the specified amount of chili powder and topping your own soup with lots of hot sauce if you like a fiery kick.
If you think cinnamon is an odd addition, trust me! It is the key to the spices. I use a generous pinch and it is amazingly delicious. You wouldn’t necessarily know that it is cinnamon, but it really adds a sweet and warm element to the spice profile.
Then I added in onion, celery and carrots for added nutrition and bulk, plus frozen corn at the end. For more flavor, I also used Mexican Style Stewed Tomatoes. You can also substitute diced canned chilis. I like the “Chili Ready” kind for this soup for added spice.
For crispy tortilla strips, we think the best texture comes from 100% corn tortillas. Brush them with oil to bake them and they become crispy and nicely toasted. Then when they are added to the tortilla soup, they soften in the broth but do not become slippery like wheat tortillas. They also happen to be naturally gluten-free!
Instructions For This Chicken Tortilla Slow Cooker Soup
It only takes a few brief minutes to stir this crockpot tortilla soup recipe together in the insert of your slow cooker (no searing required) and then it does all the work. The spices, tomatoes, onions and garlic season the chicken and veggies as they become tender. Once it is done simmering, the chicken can be easily shredded and added back to the soup.
Step 1: Stir Together Ingredients In a Slow Cooker
You do not need to cut the chicken, just drop it right into the broth. Once it is cooked it will easily shred into tender pieces.
Whisk broth, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, chipotle chili powder and cinnamon in the insert of a large slow cooker. (Can be made in an Instant Pot. See instructions below.)Add onion, carrots and celery hearts and stir to combine. Submerge chicken breast into the broth and vegetable mixture. Crush tomatoes by hand over the soup and add tomato liquid.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. (See Instant Pot Instructions below.)
Step 2: Bake Tortilla Chips
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lay tortillas on the work surface. Brush with oil and cut into strips. Spread on a baking sheet. Transfer to oven and bake until the strips are golden and crispy, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Store at room temperature until ready to serve.
Step 3: Shred Chicken
When the timer goes off, remove the chicken breast from the soup to a cutting board. Shred with two forks.
Step 4: Finish soup and serve
Return the cooked chicken to the soup, and stir in corn, cilantro, and lime juice. Ladle soup into bowls and top with cheese and tortilla chips. Pass hot sauce and lime wedges.
Make Ahead, Leftovers, Storage and Reheating
Store the tortilla strips separately — Even though the tortilla strips taste amazing on top of the soup, you don’t want to mix them all in at once, otherwise, they’ll become a soggy mess in the slow cooker. Sprinkle the tortilla strips on when you’re ready to eat this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup, and save the rest in a plastic baggie in the meantime.
Serving Suggestions for Crockpot Tortilla Chicken Soup
If you are wondering: “What goes with tortilla soup?” below are some options for rounding out the menu.
- The fun part is, for a family, everyone can top each bowl of soup, as you like. I let my kids top their own. Jase and I use a heavy hand with the hot sauce and lime. My little one likes to sneak on extra cheese. Everyone loves the crispy tortilla strips that soak into the soup.
- You can serve this easy chicken tortilla soup recipe as a complete meal, or add a batch of Mexican coleslaw on the side.
- For additional toppings, you can top it off with avocados and a dollop of sour cream if you like.
- For a Tex-Mex twist on soup and sandwich serve a smaller portion of this crockpot tortilla soup recipe on the side of chicken quesadillas or veggie burritos.
Variations To Try For Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Use rotisserie chicken instead of the chicken breast. Just shred and stir into the soup in the last hour of cooking to help the flavors meld.
- Instead of boneless skinless chicken breast use chicken thigh meat.
- Use your favorite veggies in place of the carrots and celery. Or add more veggies. You can make this almost a tortilla vegetable soup with chicken in it depending on what you add for extra vegetables. Try adding a cup each of zucchini, bell peppers and chopped cauliflower.
More Chicken Soup Recipes To Try
- If you like this tortilla soup, you’ll love our Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili too!
- Our Chicken Quinoa Soup with Mustard Greens and Turmeric is a healthy cold season recipe to warm you from the inside out.
- Our fast Chicken and Rice soup has rich homemade flavor in under an hour.
- This Hearty Chicken and Wild Rice Soup has a time-saving hack for meal prep.
- This Paleo Chicken and Veggie Soup is loaded with fresh veggies.
- Our popular Keto Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup is great for those watching their carbs.
- We used ground chicken instead of beef in our Italian Wedding Soup meatballs.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes:
- The tender fall-apart chicken in this Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore recipe is divine! Serve over pasta or with crusty bread.
- A fun recipe for entertaining is this Slow Cooker Maple Chipotle Pulled Chicken served on buns with coleslaw.
- This Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Coconut Soup has creamy coconut broth and healthy veggies for a weeknight dinner win!
- Try Crockpot Green Chile Chicken as a topping for rice bowls or to fill chicken tacos.
Thanks so much for reading! If you are new here, you may want to sign up for my email newsletter to get a free weekly menu plan and the latest recipes right to your inbox. If you make this recipe, please come back and leave a star rating and review. I would love to hear what you thought!
Happy Cooking! ~KatiePrint
This healthy and easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup with shredded chicken and corn and veggies is The BEST! It is topped with homemade crunchy baked tortilla strips, cheese, and cilantro! It is so easy to make in the crockpot and is a delicious family-friendly meal.
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder, or to taste
- pinch cinnamon
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 14–ounce can Mexican or chili ready stewed tomatoes *ingredient note
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup frozen yellow corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- 1 cup grated Monterey jack cheese
- hot sauce, for serving, optional
- Whisk broth, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, chipotle chili powder and cinnamon in the insert of a large slow cooker. (Can be made in an Instant Pot. See instructions below.)Add onion, carrots and celery hearts and stir to combine. Submerge chicken breast into the broth and vegetable mixture. Crush tomatoes by hand over the soup and add tomato liquid. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. (See Instant Pot Instructions below.)
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350ºF. Lay tortillas on work surface. Brush with oil and cut into strips. Spread on baking sheet. Transfer to oven and bake until the strips are golden and crispy, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Store at room temperature until ready to serve.
- When timer goes off, remove the chicken breast from the soup to a cutting board. Shred with two forks.
- Return the cooked chicken to the soup, and stir in corn, cilantro and lime juice. Ladle soup into bowls and top with cheese and tortilla chips. Pass hot sauce and lime wedges.
Instant Pot Instructions
In step 2: cover and turn valve to sealing. Cook for 25 minutes on high pressure. Natural release for 20 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure.
Make sure you’re using low-sodium chicken broth or this dish will be too salty. If you substitute regular chicken broth, use ¾ teaspoon salt.
This recipe works with either Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, crushed by hand or a can of diced “chili ready” tomatoes.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 2 1/3 cup
- Calories: 295
Keywords: slow cooker chicken tortilla soup, healthy chicken tortilla soup