Healthy and easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup with shredded chicken and corn and veggies. Topped with homemade baked tortilla strips, cilantro & lime!
- 6 cups Hannaford Brand low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Hannaford Brand ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Hannaford Brand chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Hannaford Brand salt (see note below*)
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder, or to taste
- pinch cinnamon
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup diced Hannaford Brand or Nature’s Place organic carrots
- ½ cup finely chopped Hannaford Brand or Nature’s Place organic celery hearts
- 1 pound boneless Nature’s Place organic skinless chicken breast
- 1 14-ounce can Hannaford Brand Mexican stewed tomatoes
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup Hannaford Brand or Nature’s Place frozen yellow corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- 1 cup grated Monterey jack cheese
- hot sauce, for serving, optional
- Whisk broth, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, chipotle chili powder and cinnamon in the insert of a large slow cooker. Add onion, carrots and celery hearts and stir to combine. Submerge chicken breast into the broth and vegetable mixture. Crush tomatoes by hand over the soup and add tomato liquid. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Lay tortillas on work surface. Brush with oil and cut into strips. Spread on baking sheet. Transfer to oven and bake until the strips are golden and crispy, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Store at room temperature until ready to serve.
- When timer goes off, remove the chicken breast from the soup to a cutting board. Shred with two forks. Return the cooked chicken to the soup, and stir in corn, cilantro and lime juice. Ladle soup into bowls and top with cheese and tortilla chips. Pass hot sauce and lime wedges.
Make sure you’re using low-sodium chicken broth or this dish will be too salty. If you substitute regular chicken broth, use ¾ teaspoon salt.
- Serving Size: 2 1/3 cup
- Calories: 295