Today is a special day for Healthy Seasonal Recipes. It is the two-year anniversary of when it moved to its home at this domain. Today is also the day we are re-launching with an updated look, and spankin’ new navigation. Getting it to where it is has been a lot of work, and I am thrilled with the results. So to celebrate the occasion, I thought it appropriate to share a special recipe with you.
Looking at the picture, your wondering okay, special occasion, why is Katie sharing a bowl of broccoli with us then? Well that’s because this broccoli recipe is special. It is one I make over and over. When I was a personal chef, I made it for clients, by request, every week. In the spring I prepare asparagus the same way, and in summer I’ll use green beans. Year round, it never fails to disappear off my family’s plates.
In fact, I credit this recipe with being the single reason my four-year-old claims broccoli is her favorite vegetable. You’re probably thinking, “Wow! It must be magic.“ And I have to say there is a bit of magic to it. The trick is that the sour lemon, and the salt balance the bitterness of the broccoli, which makes it more palatable for bitter-sensitive kids (and grown-ups.) Plus a bit of garlic and fat (in the form of healthy extra-virgin olive oil) never hurts the flavor of any vegetable. Okay so it is more science than magic, but a four-year-old doesn’t have to know that.
So enjoy this birthday present to you, and please let me know what you think of the new site. I hope it is easier for you to get around. Please leave me a comment letting me know how you like it, or if there are any glitches that need tending too. Happy cooking!
- 5 cups raw broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- rounded ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring 1 to 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer attachment. Add broccoli, cover and steam until crisp tender, 3 ½ to 4 1/2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil and garlic in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook until the garlic is fragrant and just starting to brown, 30 to 90 seconds. Scrape garlic mixture into a large bowl. Immediately add lemon juice. Add lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Stir broccoli into the lemon mixture and stir to coat. Serve hot.
0 mg Cholesterol, 0 g Added Sugars
keep yourself in the loop
Sign up for the Healthy Seasonal Recipes Newsletter and you'll receive the BEST Easy Vegetable Side Dish Cookbook for FREE. And, rest assured, we son't spam or share you info. Promise.