Last week, I was having one of those dog doo on the shoe days, getting a little too bent out of shape for my own good about dumb stuff like blue #1 in the only wasabi peas that they carried at Hannaford and oh my goodness could this line at UPS be any longer. Hi my name is Katie, I have a furrowed brow and I am from the town of grouch city.
Then my friend told me she had unexpectedly lost her family member to a freak car accident. He had died the night before and she had gotten the call that very morning. She was barely holding it together. I was immediately brought back to earth and reminded to keep all the little things in perspective. To focus more on the positive amazing wonderful things I have in my life and to not sweat the small stuff. All the things I said about dog shit on the shoe moods two years ago.
When I got home, I had planned to work on my ever mounting pile of things to do, but all I really wanted to do was cook and take some pictures. So I made my daughter’s favorite broccoli recipe with lemon and broccoli. It is so easy it doesn’t require a lot of patience or brain power or skill for that matter. Perfect for my mood. And the smell of cooking garlic is enough to get even the grouchiest people out of their funks.
Do you ever want to cook when you’re in a funk?
How do you get out of bad moods?
- 5 cups raw broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- rounded ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring 1 to 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer attachment. Add broccoli, cover and steam until crisp tender, 3 ½ to 4 1/2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil and garlic in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook until the garlic is fragrant and just starting to brown, 30 to 90 seconds. Scrape garlic mixture into a large bowl. Immediately add lemon juice. Add lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Stir broccoli into the lemon mixture and stir to coat. Serve hot.
0 mg Cholesterol, 0 g Added Sugars
MORE RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE
keep yourself in the loop
Sign up for the Healthy Seasonal Recipes Newsletter and you'll receive the BEST Easy Vegetable Side Dish Cookbook for FREE. And, rest assured, we son't spam or share you info. Promise.