With just 10 minutes of prep and only 5 ingredients you can transform earthy beets into tangy tender slices of absolute goodness. These Simple Pickled Beets are gluten free, paleo-friendly and vegetarian and one of my absolute favorite summer side dishes!
I originally shared this recipe on August 1, 2014. I have updated the images and some of the text today.
They’re so good, it’s like standing at the counter, eating straight out of the bowl good. Like turn your pee red for a few days good. Wait, is that a degree of goodness? You get what I mean?
But these Simple Pickled Beets are just about as well…. simple as you can make them. Just boil them, peel and slice them and then toss them in a super simple vinaigrette and you’re done! They are delicious in their simplicity. Tangy, earthy and meltingly tender. And they will look absolutely stunning on your Summer table next to all of your gorgeous grilled meat and summer salads.
!I always say, “You can’t beat a beet!” Well, maybe not always, but I do really love beets. There are so many ways you can prepare and eat them. You can boil them and toss them into salads or side dishes like my Green Salad with Beets and Crispy Prosciutto Chips, or the Spinach Salad with Maple Ranch Dressing and Bacon and Beets, Beets with Cranberries and Spiced Nuts or Beets with Tahini. They are also delicious just shredded and eaten raw like in my Layered Salad with Beets, Apple, Cheddar and Bacon. And don’t miss out on roasting them! Check out how to roast beets by oh my veggies.
Nutritional Benefits Of Beets
- They are high in B-9 or folate which is vital for good emotional and mental health
- Chocked full of Vitamin C which helps boost your immune system
- Naturally occurring nitrates in beets may help lower blood pressure
- Beets are a unique source of betaine, which is a nutrient that helps fight inflammation, protects internal organs and improves stamina
These yum-tastic beets are part of a collection of seasonal produce recipes by the Eat Seasonal group. You can see the rest of the Eat Seasonal recipes here…
Berry Frangipane Brioche Toast by Vintage Mixer
Paleo Double Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread by JoyFoodSunshine
Kale Salad with Blueberries Cherries and Goat Cheese by Flavor the Moments
Pesto Butter Corn on the Cob by Cookin’ Canuck
Triple Berry No-Bake Cheesecake with Amaretti Crust by Floating Kitchen
Sour Cream Panna Cotta with Strawberry Compote by Simple Bites
Blueberry Acai Frozen Yogurt by Kitchen Confidante
Lower Carb Zucchini Noodle Pasta Bake by She Likes Food
Summer Melon Cous Cous Salad with Avocado, Grapes and Mint by Foodie Crush
Golden Beets with Black Beans and Dried Cherries by Letty’s KitchenPrint
With just 10 minutes of prep and only 5 ingredients you can transform earthy beets into tangy tender slices of absolute goodness. These Simple Pickled Beets are a gluten free, paleo-friendly, vegetarian side dish that will make all of your Summer grilling dishes sing!
- 1 pound beets, about 2 bunches greens removed, and trimmed
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Place beets in a 3-quart saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the beets are tender and a fork inserted into the beets comes out easily, 40 to 55 minutes, depending on the size of the beets. Drain and cool beets until cool enough to handle.
- Whisk garlic, oil, vinegar and salt in a medium bowl. Peel and slice beets. Add to the dressing, and toss to coat. Cool beets completely in the dressing. Refrigerate or serve immediately.
0 mg Cholesterol, 0 g Added Sugars
- Calories: 130
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 500 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 2 g
Here are the original images associated with this blog post.