One-Pan Chicken with Squash and Mushrooms
It takes just a single sheet pan and 15 minutes of active time to make this One Pan Chicken with Squash and Mushrooms. It is a great recipe for busy weeknight dinners. It is naturally paleo, gluten-free and grain-free.
Why We Love This One Pan Chicken and Squash Recipe
Let’s do a little poll. Raise your hand if you don’t like one-pot meals. Nobody? Hmm, from the lack of hands, I think it is safe to say that we can all agree that they are the best thing that happened to dinner time. Amiright?
This One-pan Chicken with Squash and Mushrooms is so simple to make. All you need is a bowl and a baking sheet pan. That’s it!
It is a great meal to prepare for a weeknight dinner because much of the total time, is inactive, so once you get it into the oven you can go about your business and let the oven do the work.
We love Chicken Thighs around here on Healthy Seasonal Recipe because they are so forgiving. It is hard to overcook them and they do not dry out at all. Some of our favorite chicken thighs recipes are these Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs, these Crispy Skin Chicken and our Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili. Furthermore, boneless thighs are the perfect protein for a sheet pan dinner because they cook so quickly!
I should also mention that this recipe is also a grain-free dish so it is Whole30 compliant, paleo and gluten-free.
Step By Step Instructions for This Chicken and Squash Recipe
- The butternut squash takes a while to roast, so that has to get a head start in the oven, for about 15 minutes, before the boneless chicken thighs and mushrooms are added.
- Once the squash is pre-softened a bit, just add in herbs and mushrooms and a drizzle of oil.
- Stir it up and then nestle the chicken into the pan among the veggies.
- The chicken is also seasoned with the herbs too.
- Every thing goes back into the oven and its ready in 20 minutes.
What Goes With Chicken And Squash?
This recipe is great all on its own, or you can serve it with a salad. Some of our favorites for fall and winter are Lacinato Kale Caesar, Massaged Kale Salad with Apples, Napa Cabbage Caesar Salad and this recipe for Classic Garden Salad.
More One Pan Dinners To Try
My kids and husband adore this Sheet Pan Pork Chops with Raspberry Ketchup!
This gorgeous and easy Roasted Salmon Sheet Pan Dinner with cherry tomatoes and green beans always wins raves.
If you like chicken, this Chicken Thigh and Brussels Sprouts Sheet Pan Dinner is pretty popular too.
I also love the convenience of chicken tenders, and this Honey Sriracha Chicken Tender Sheet Pan Dinner is simple to put together.
Thanks so much for reading! If you are new here, you may want to sign up for my email newsletter to get a free weekly menu plan and the latest recipes right to your inbox. If you make this recipe, please come back and leave a star rating and review. I would love to hear what you thought!
Happy Cooking! ~KatiePrint
Everyone will love that this easy weeknight meal is cooked on one pan and takes just 15 minutes of prep. The chicken is cooked with butternut squash and mushrooms and herbs. It really is so simple and family friendly. Plus it is naturally gluten-free and paleo.
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons Herbs de Provance, divided
- 1 ¼ teaspoon coarse kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 8-ounce container baby bella, crimini or white mushrooms, quartered
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss squash with 2 teaspoons oil, ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Spread out on the baking sheet and place in the oven, roast 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush 2 teaspoons oil over the chicken and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon herbs, ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, add mushrooms, the remaining 1 teaspoon herbs, and the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Toss the squash and the mushrooms until the mushrooms are moistened. Spread back out into an even layer. Nestle the chicken into the vegetables. Return the pan to the oven and continue roasting until the chicken is cooked through, is no longer pink in the center and the squash is tender, 20 minutes more.
For meal prep or to make in advance
Cut the squash and mushrooms and place them in separate resealable containers. They can be cut up to 3 days in advance.
Place the chicken and veggies into a 9 by 13 baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes until steaming hot.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4.5 ounces chicken and 1 cup vegetables
- Calories: 353
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 248
- Fat: 17
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 15
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 35
Keywords: Sheet Pan chicken,Chicken and Squash,Chicken and Mushrooms, Roasted Chicken Thighs Sheet Pan