Black Bean and Jicama Shrimp Salad
This Mexican jicama shrimp salad with jicama, avocado and grapefruit is the perfect light meal and the left-overs will make a stellar healthy lunch too! Calling this salad a twist on a taco salad is a bit of a disservice to this unique dish.
To begin, as with the other salads I am sharing this week, there is no lettuce in it. This salad gets its crunch not from fried tortillas but from crunchy chopped jicama. I love the way it contrasts with the creamy avocado and sweet shrimp. They all combine together in a salad much greater than the sum of its parts.
The surprise of the bitter-sour-sweet grapefruit and the earthy beans and cumin make this salad one you’ll make again and again.
And can we just talk about the combination of avocado and shrimp for a second? They’re on of my favorites! Like in this Shrimp Avocado salad (with a cold glass of rosé!) Or in my fancy guacamole garnished with shrimp. Gahh! It’s a classic combo for a reason.
You can also see the recipe and the other recipes in this no-lettuce salads series on theKitchn.com today.
PS, In case you’re just joining us, here are more recipes in the no-lettuce theKitchn.com series:
Thanks so much for reading. If you are new here you may want to sign up for my free weekly email newsletter or follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please come back and leave a star rating and review! It is very appreciated. Happy Cooking! ~KatiePrint
This Mexican jicama shrimp salad is the perfect light meal. And the left-overs will make a stellar healthy lunch too because it’s full of healthy vegetables and beans for protein!
- 1 pound medium peeled cooked shrimp
- 1 large jicama, peeled and finely diced (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large grapefruit, peeled and segmented, and juice reserved (see Recipe Note)
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chili, or to taste
- Arrange shrimp, jicama, black beans, grapefruit segments, and avocado on a large platter. Sprinkle with cilantro and onion.
- Combine the reserved grapefruit juice, lime, oil, honey, cumin, salt, and chipotle in a jar. Cover and shake to combine. Pour over the salad just before serving.
To segment grapefruit: Cut skin and pith away from the outside of the grapefruit. Working over a bowl to catch juices and segments, slide knife along the pith of the grapefruit down one side of a segment. When you get to the center, reverse the direction of the knife, prying the supreme from the other side of its pith. When all of the segments are cut free, squeeze the pith and pulp leftover and catch the juice in the work bowl.
- Serving Size: 2 1/2 cups
- Calories: 510
- Sugar: 11 g
- Fat: 22 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 48 g
- Fiber: 18 g
- Protein: 33 g