roasted delicata squash salad with warm pickled onion dressing
The topic I am focusing on all week is one I hold near and dear.
This roasted delicata squash salad with warm pickled onion dressing is a superfood bonanza! It’s filled with healthy vegetables, nuts for protein and topped with a delicious dressing. AND it’s a wilt-free no-lettuce salad that makes a healthy and delicious lunch and dinner. You can’t go wrong!
If you’ve been reading for a while you know how I can go on and on about salad. Salad this! Salad that! So I guess I shouldn’t have been crazy surprised when an editor from the Kitchn asked me to do a feature all about salads. I was surprised anyway and totally honored! So I have been working behind the scenes getting ready for this week. I have whipped up five brand new never been seen before salad recipes.
But there’s a catch!
No lettuce could be harmed in the making of these salads! Instead they tasked me with coming up with 5 wilt-free no-lettuce salads that would make a fresh and healthy dinner, and then could get packed up for lunch the next day!
You can also check out this yummy Roasted Delicata Squash Salad with Warm Pickled Onion Dressing recipe on the Kitchn.
This Roasted Delicata Salad with Warm Pickled Onion Dressing is a wilt-free no-lettuce salad that makes a fresh and healthy lunch and dinner. It’s filled with healthy vegetables, nuts for protein and topped with a delicious dressing. You can’t go wrong!
- 2 medium delicata squash
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey (or use agave to make it vegan)
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large apple, finely diced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery hearts (preferably with leaves)
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, cut into strips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut delicata in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds and pulp. Cut lengthwise again, and then into 1/4-inch quarter-moons. Toss delicata in a medium bowl with 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until coated. Spread out in a single layer onto a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once or twice, until tender and darkened in spots, 16 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine vinegar, honey, caraway, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl. Microwave until boiling-hot, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Remove from the microwave and stir in onion. Set aside for 10 minutes. Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
- Toss cabbage, apple, celery hearts, the hot roasted delicata squash, and the warm pickled onion dressing in a large salad bowl. Divide among four plates and top with walnuts and parsley (if using).
- Calories: 315
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 370 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 3 g
Soups and Salads From The Archives