kohlrabi bistro salad
If kohlrabi is a new ingredient for you or you’ve been getting it in your CSA but wondered what to do with it, then this kohlrabi bistro salad is for you!
Today I have a twist on the classic French Bistro salad. Instead of the traditional bed of frissé though, this one is made with kohlrabi.
If you’re still not convinced, I guess I should mention that it’s topped with a poached egg and crumbled bacon.
You can also check out this kohlrabi bistro salad over on the Kitchn today.
And make sure you check out my GUIDE TO KOHLRABI to learn more about this awesome veggie!
If kohlrabi is a new ingredient for you or you’ve been getting it in your CSA but wondered what to do with it, then this kohlrabi bistro salad is for you. It’s dairy free, wheat free, gluten free and low carb!
- Splash white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 cups peeled and julienne-cut kohlrabi
- 1 head Belgian endive, cut into bias strips
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Bring several inches of water plus a splash of white vinegar to a boil over high heat in a wide sauté pan or deep skillet. Crack eggs one at a time into a small ramekin and then slide into the water. Keep an eye on the boil/simmer of the water. The temperature of the water should drop from the cold eggs. When it comes back up to a simmer, reduce the heat to maintain a very gentle simmer. If the water is boiling, reduce heat. Cook eggs 4 minutes for runny yolks. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with a clean towel.
- Meanwhile, whisk cider vinegar, shallot, and Dijon in a large salad bowl. Whisk in oil, tarragon, salt, and pepper. Add kohlrabi and endive and toss to coat.
- Divide salad among four dinner plates. Top with crumbled bacon and the hot poached egg.
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 329
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 668 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 15 g
You May Also Like: