Here’s how to make Guacamole 5 different ways. First, take the recipe for classic guac and kick it up a notch with these 4 creative super yummy flavor stir-ins! Try Corn and Bacon, Chipotle and Scallion, or chunky Pico de gallo. Or you can get really fancy and garnish the top of the bowl of classic guacamole with shrimp, cotija cheese and pepitas! Or for the classic lovers, just stick with classic guac- you can’t really go wrong with that either! So grab your avocados- let’s get mashing!
I’ve already walked you through how to make authentic classic guacamole, with 6 tips for the best classic guacamole. So if you haven’t reviewed that, now is a great time for a refresher. Basically- use salt and lime and only a little garlic. Brighten it up with some fresh cilantro, and only a smidge of picante sauce. That’s it. From there, think of your bowl of guac like a blank canvas! That’s when you get CREATIVE with super flavorful stir-ins! Try making all 5 versions, stock up on chips and dippers and then throw a guac party!
I’ve spelled out four combinations to try adding into the authentic guac recipe. And they’re gonna knock your socks right off. I am not sure which one I like the best, they’re all so good!
#1 Classic Guacamole
This is the master recipe where it all begins. If you’re a purist, then this is 100% the best and most fool-proof way to go when it comes to authenic guac. The keys to success are to make sure you use enough lime and salt, and watch out not to go overboard with raw garlic. Read more about how to make the best classic guacamole here.
#2 Chunky Pico De Gallo Guacamole
Next up, add in a big scoop of pico de gallo. It adds chunky interest, but won’t send the pickier eaters at the party running for cover. I used 3/4 cup for 1 batch of the classic guac. You can use you own home-made pico de gallo or you can buy some from the store. No stress!
#3 Chipotle Scallion Guacamole
Next, I took one finely chopped canned chipotle in adobo and stirred that in with 3 sliced scallions. My hubbie and I loved the heat and the smokiness, plus an added kick of scallion to make it really flavorful.
#4 Corn and Bacon Guacamole
You guys, this is so good. Gahhh. Love this one so much! Steam one ear of corn, cut the kernels off, and add that to the classic guac. (It’s about 3/4 cup kernels- so if you want to take a short-cut use 3/4 cup thawed frozen corn.) Plus 3 strips cooked bacon and 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika. I mean, c’mon folks, what is not to love about this combo!!?? Nothing. It’s so good!
#5 Guacamole Shrimp Cocktail
Ok, it’s not really shrimp cocktail at all, but it kinda looks like that, when you decorate a bowl of guac with shroimp all around. Add on cotija cheese, pepitas and a little more cilantro for extra crunch and flavor. And then dunk the shrimp right into the guac instead of a chip. OR load you chip up with all of the above including the shrimp! Heck yeah!
What combo would you like to try first?
Have you ever had shrimp and guacamole?
What is your favorite way to jazz up guacamole?
Take a batch of classic guacamole and add in these four other flavor combinations. Serve all five for a festive guacamole party! Chunky pico de gallo, bacon and corn, scallion and chipotle or festive guacamole shrimp cocktail.
- 1 Batch Classic Guacamole
- Chunky Pico de Gallo
- 3/4 cup Pico de Gallo home-made or purchased
- Chipotle and Scallion
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 canned chipotle in adobo, minced
- Smoky Bacon and Corn
- 3 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 ear of corn, steamed and kernels removed
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Guacamole Shrimp Cocktail
- 3 tablespoons crumbled cotija cheese (substitute feta if unavailable)
- 2 tablespoons toasted unsalted pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
- 18 large cooked shrimp, peeled and tails removed
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Make batch of classic guacamole. Serve as is or try the following variations.
- For Chunky Pico de Gallo: Stir pico de gallo into classic guacamole and serve.
- For Chipotle and Scallion: Stir scallions and chipotle into classic guacamole and serve.
- For Smoky Bacon and Corn: Stir bacon, corn and paprika into classic guacamole and serve.
- For Guacamole Shrimp Cocktail
- Mound classic guacamole into a medium wide serving bowl.
- Arrange cotija (or feta) and pepitas over the guacamole.
- Decoratively arrange shrimp around the bowl of guacamole and garnish with cilantro
nutrition values are for classic variation only.