Healthy Broccoli Salad
This healthy Broccoli Salad with bacon and cheddar is a reinvention of the classic my Grandmother used to make. This version is only 170 calories and 4 grams of net carbs per serving! It’s super easy to make and it only takes 20 minutes! It’s truly the best healthy broccoli salad recipe.
I originally shared this recipe on January 2, 2013. I have updated the images and some of the text today.
Table of contents
Why I Love This Healthy Broccoli Salad
This Broccoli Salad always makes me think of my Grandma Ginger. Her version of this broccoli salad was much more indulgent, but I think you all will appreciate my healthier version of her recipe. The broccoli is raw and crunchy, the bacon is salty and smoky, and the cheddar is tangy and sharp.
This combination of flavors and simple ingredients is one we come back to every summer. Pair it with your favorite grilling recipes, burgers and cookout classics at your next summer bbq. It’s the perfect side dish.
- I like to make the creamy Greek Yogurt dressing directly in the mixing bowl of the salad. It saves an extra bowl to wash!
- The best thing is that this recipe only takes 20 minutes to whip together – it’s so quick and easy!
- My healthier version is lower in carbs and fat than a lot of broccoli salads.
- Vermont extra-sharp cheddar. Need I say more?
Key Ingredients For This Recipe
- Broccoli: Chopped raw broccoli is the star of this recipe. I used whole broccoli crowns but you can use pre-cut broccoli florets if desired.
- Plain Greek yogurt (low-fat) & Mayonnaise: I used a half cup of Greek Yogurt and only 1/4 cup of mayonnaise for the base of the dressing. Greek yogurt saves you about 700 calories per batch!
- Brown Mustard: I like the taste of Brown Deli mustard, but Dijon is fine instead.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: I used apple cider vinegar but you could use red wine vinegar instead. Here is our guide to vinegar.
- Bacon: You’ll need 4 strips of crispy cooked bacon for the bacon bits, and here’s how to cook bacon in the oven if you prefer to do it that way.
- Extra-Sharp Cheddar Cheese: For the best cheesy flavor, look for Extra Sharp cheddar.
- Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Other Vegetables: I also added fresh fennel to this salad. I love the way the flavor is slightly sweet, and it really helps to balance the savory bacon, cheddar, and tart Greek yogurt dressing. If you do not care for fennel, use celery instead.
Step By Step Instructions To Make Low-Fat Broccoli Salad
Step 1: Combine Ingredients
Whisk the yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until smooth. Then, add your bacon, shallot, broccoli, fennel, and cheddar, and stir everything together to coat it with the dressing. Simple as that!
FAQs and Expert Tips
This broccoli salad is a great make-ahead recipe because it doesn’t get soggy or lose its appearance at all. You can make it up to two days in advance and store it in an airtight container. The dressing can be made 5 days in advance!
Yes! The crunch and freshness of raw chopped broccoli is one of the major appeals of broccoli salad. The dressing helps moisten the broccoli while adding some sweetness, and trust me, you will love it.
A great addition would be chopped red onion, bell peppers, goat cheese, lemon juice or crunchy sunflower seeds. You can really add anything you’d like to a traditional broccoli salad and it’ll still make for a delicious side dish.
What To Serve With Broccoli Salad
Broccoli salad is pretty much perfect for any summertime gathering or summer parties because it does sit so well and is such an easy recipe. Unlike a tossed green salad, it doesn’t wilt at all so you could eat it the next day. It is also great at room temperature, so it is a really nice recipe to make for a potluck or covered dish.
I like to make it when we have friends over for a barbecue or when we have family gatherings. Typically I will make grilled steak or barbecued chicken alongside as the main dish.
As far as other side dishes to serve with the Broccoli Salad, I would probably choose vinegar-based dressings, as opposed to more creamy sides, so this Vegan Potato Salad would be great with it. Or Asian Coleslaw is always a favorite.
Additional Recipes To Try
- Broccoli Salad with Sweet Miso Dressing is another take on the classic, and that miso dressing is divine! It’s the perfect recipe.
- Try Healthy Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli for a creamy recipe that’s low-cal and only takes 30 minutes!
- Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli is a great way to blend your love of broccoli with Vermont sharp cheddar!
- Make sure to check out this recipe for Spinach Salad with Bacon and Eggs to get that salty bacon fix too!
- There are broccoli salads without creamy dressing, just like this Vegan Broccoli Salad of mine. It’s a really delicious salad.
Thanks so much for reading! If you are new here, you may want to sign up for my email newsletter to get a free weekly menu plan and the latest recipes right to your inbox. If you make this recipe, please come back and leave a star rating and review. I would love to hear what you thought!
Happy Cooking! ~KatiePrint
Healthy Broccoli Salad Recipe
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Diet: Low Fat
You will probably want to make a double batch because everyone will want seconds of this Broccoli Salad Recipe! It’s a healthier version of the classic version my grandmother made with Bacon, Cheddar and creamy dressing, but it is still absolutely delicious!
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, preferable low-fat or non-fat
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 shallot, minced
- 5 cups chopped raw broccoli
- 1 cup finely chopped fennel bulb
- 1 cup shredded shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, preferably Vermont (4 ounces)
- Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl until smooth. Add bacon, shallot, broccoli, fennel and cheddar and stir to coat with the dressing.
To Make Ahead: The dressing can be made up to 5 days ahead. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator. The salad can be made in its entirely two days ahead. Stir again to redistribute the dressing just before serving.
Note about the Mustard: I added a relatively bold amount of brown deli mustard to this broccoli salad dressing to play off the cheddar cheese. It makes it taste cheesier, that way you can get away with only using 4 ounces of cheese per batch. If you’re not a big mustard fan, or prefer a more mild dressing, drop the mustard to 1 tablespoon. If you’re wondering if you can sub in Dijon instead, that is fine, but it is much stronger than Brown Deli mustard, so only use 2 1/2 teaspoons of Dijon.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup each
- Calories: 170 cal
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 7 g
Keywords: Healthy Broccoli Salad, Broccoli Salad with Bacon, Raw Broccoli Salad, Healthy Broccoli Salad Recipe, Low Fat Broccoli Salad
Simply delicious! Another winner from Katie. I’ve never made one a dish I haven’t truly enjoyed. I always come back for more!
Ah you’re so sweet! Thank you!
I love salad and all your recipes give me a lot of ideas for preparing dinner for my family.
Cannot wait to make this!!
Thanks for sharing the story of your wonderful family.
I have not made a broccoli salad in so long! Pinning this one to make later!
That is like the most perfectly cooked bacon ever. This looks so easy to eat the whole bowl?
This looks absolutely AMAZING! I can’t wait to try it!
This is our all time favorite salad to take along to outdoor gathering in summer. It’s a great recipe!
Sounds delicious! Love the addition of fennel.
So pretty and fantastic ingredient list! Thanks!
I love recipes with history, such great memories! I’ve never had a broccoli salad like this, everyone makes the cranberry version around here so this is going to be a very welcome change of pace!