With just 4 ingredients and less than 45 minutes, you too can have these super addictive baked Cajun Fries!
How to Make Cajun Fries
Some recipes just speak for themselves. These Cajun fries is one of them. I mean seriously, who needs to be talked into Cajun fries? Full disclosure, back in April 2011, I did have a lot to say about the technique of my original healthy oven fries recipe. I got all specific about the food-science of the technique, so I am not going to get into that this time. I will, however, briefly go over how I made these amazing oven fries.
1. Prep the potatoes —Cut the potatoes into batons/French fries. They should be about 1/3 to 1/2-inch thick and you should do your best to make sure the fries are all roughly the same size (this will help them all cook evenly in the oven). Place the cut potatoes into a large bowl.
2. Soak potatoes in boiling water — Pour boiling water over the potatoes and let sit 3 minutes. Then drain thoroughly and spread the cut potatoes over a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Blot with more towels. Dry the bowl and return the potatoes to it, then add the oil, Cajun seasonings and salt and toss everything together until the potatoes are completely coated. Coat the baking sheet with cooking spray, then spread the potatoes out in an even layer on the baking sheet.
3. Bake the Cajun fries — Bake the oven fries on the bottom rack until they’re golden on the bottom. Then turn the Cajun fries over with a spatula and continue baking until golden and fully cooked through. Serve the Cajun fries immediately!
How to Reheat Cajun Fries
This oven fries recipe makes about 4 servings of fries, but don’t panic if you wind up with leftovers. You can easily reheat these Cajun fries in a skillet over medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Try not to stir the fries so they have a chance to fully heat through. If it looks like the fries are starting to brown, turn the heat down again to prevent them from burning. You can also reheat fries in the oven. They’ll take longer to heat through, but if you already have something baking this is an easy alternative to using a skillet.
Waste no time, you could be preheating your oven right now. You probably already have all of the ingredients on hand. My advice: simply follow the recipe. It will yield golden delicious, crispy, spicy oven baked french fries with less than a teaspoon of oil per serving. Or go ahead and ask why and read this and then go preheat your oven. Another option to try are these Baked Zucchini Fries by Wholesome Yum. They are healthy, low in carbs, and a delicious alternative to traditional french fries!
More Healthy Potato Recipes:Print
Just 4 ingredients and 45 minutes is all you need to make these addictive baked Cajun Fries. These pair perfectly with turkey burgers, sandwiches, & more!
- 2 pounds large Russet potatoes (about 1 1/2 )
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasonings (I love this organic blend )
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt (see ingredient note*)
- Put a kettle on to boil. Arrange oven rack in bottom most position of the oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, cut potatoes into batons/French fries, about 1/3 to 1/2-inch thick. Place in a large bowl.
- When water boils, pour over the potatoes and let sit 3 minutes. Drain thoroughly and spread over the towel-lined baking sheet. Blot with more towels. Dry the bowl and return the potatoes to it. Add oil, Cajun seasonings and salt and toss until the potatoes are completely coated. Discard paper towels and dry baking sheet if necessary. Coat the baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread the potatoes out in an even layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake on the bottom rack until golden on the bottom, 12 to 15 minutes. Turn over with a spatula and continue baking until golden and cooked through, 15 to 18 minutes longer, stirring one more time.
Ingredient note* If you don’t have kosher salt, note that kosher salt has less sodium per teaspoon than table salt. Unless you want hella salty fries, substitute about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon table salt for the kosher.
- Serving Size: 2.5 ounces each. about 1 cup
Keywords: cajun fries, how to make cajun fries, oven fries