Garlic Herb Grilled Mushroom Kebabs
These simple Grilled Mushroom Kebabs are made with perfectly juicy mushrooms marinated with garlic herb marinade and threaded onto skewers. With only 30 minutes to make them, they make a light meatless main, or work as a simple veggie side dish for a busy night. They are low in carbs and calories but big in juicy flavor!
Table of contents
Why We Love This Recipe For Grilled Mushroom Kebabs
We all have our hobbies, and clearly grilling is mine! Okay, it’s not quite a hobby, but I sure do it enough! It’s not just about grilling meats around here. I also am a huge fan of grilling veggies: like Grilled Broccoli in Foil, Grilled Onions, Grilled Zucchini, Grilled Potatoes and even Grilled Carrots.
It’s time though, to introduce a new player to my grill lineup – the only fungus I want in my life: Mushrooms. This recipe for Garlic Herb Grilled Mushroom Kebabs is juicy, flavorful, and no one could ever call it boring! Between the garlic, herb, and vinegar marinade, these mushroom kebabs pack so much tastiness that you might even enjoy them as a main course.
Mushrooms are a great substitute for meat because they’re, well, meaty, and they’re also a good source of protein and fiber. Also, a major plus side to this recipe is that you can make these skewers ahead of time and have them ready in the fridge for meals throughout the week!
Now, what are we waiting for? It’s time to get fun-gi and grill up these kebabs!
Key Ingredients for this Recipe
Any variety of mushroom can be grilled, especially if you have a vegetable grill basket, but the best mushrooms for kebabs are small and evenly sized. We like small white mushrooms, cremini, baby bella or “button” mushrooms. Look for mushrooms that are about 1 inch each. That way each serving is five or six mushrooms.
Sherry Vinegar or Red Wine Vinegar
You can use either vinegar here, it just depends on your preferences. Red wine vinegar is more versatile and lower in acidity. Sherry vinegar has more of a strong and smoky flavor. Either vinegar will be delicious with these kebabs, but the sherry vinegar will definitely provide more of a flavor kick.
Oil and Seasonings
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Chopped fresh thyme
- Salt & Pepper
Step By Step Instructions To Make This Recipe for Mushroom Skewers
Step 1: Combine Marinade
Combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Whisk until it’s homogeneous and the salt is dissolved.
Step 2: Marinate
Add the mushrooms to the marinade and toss to combine. Let it marinate for at least 10 minutes, but you can also marinate the mushrooms up to 8 hours. Toss occasionally.
Step 3: Preheat Grill and Prep Mushrooms
Preheat the grill to high heat while your mushrooms marinate. Thread the mushrooms onto metal skewers through the stem and cap.
Step 4: Grill and Serve
Grill your kebabs, turning often while brushing with the marinade throughout. Grill for about 10 to 12 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
FAQs and Expert Tips
Remove the grilled mushrooms from the skewers and store them in a resealable container for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave for about 1 minute per serving, or heat on the stovetop, covered in a saucepan with a little olive oil or broth. Stir often until the mushrooms are hot.
The mushrooms can be marinated for up to 8 hours, so in the marinating process they may let off some juice. That’s fine! Just blot them with a clean paper towel before grilling.
The number of mushrooms per serving will vary depending on the size of the mushrooms. For best results use evenly sized mushrooms and turn the kebabs often to prevent them from cooking too fast.
Additional Mushroom Recipes To Try
- Add these Easy Sauteed Portobello Mushrooms to burgers, omelets, or just enjoy them as a succulent side dish!
- If you don’t eat meat, get your bacon fix with this delicious Vegan Shiitake Mushroom Bacon recipe.
- Roasted Portobello Mushrooms is one of the easiest and tastiest ways to incorporate more veggies into everyday meals!
- Easy Cream of Mushroom Soup has complex flavors, but it’s made in only 30 minutes and has no artificial additives like the canned stuff.
- If you want a creamy, crispy, and delicious appetizer, look no further than Healthy Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe with Spinach and Goat Cheese.
- Vegetarian Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Lasagna is so satisfying, that even the meat-lovers will adore this comfort food classic!
- Do I need to say anything other than, Big Sexy Filet Mignon Steaks with Tarragon Mushrooms? I didn’t think so!
- Pork Chops with Creamy Mushroom Gravy is made entirely from scratch with fresh mushrooms and only a splash of half-and-half, and it’ll be ready in 30 minutes!
Additional Veggies and Kebabs To Grill This Season
- Made with fragrant spice adn lean ground turkey, these Middle Eastern-inspired Grilled Ground Turkey Kofta Kebabs are a delicious meal to grill this summer, and it’ll be ready in only 40 minutes!
- These Grilled Lamb Kofta Kebabs are a grain-free and paleo entree for beginners this grilling season.
- Rosemary Garlic Shrimp and Tomato Kebabs are a great easy low-carb option for your family dinners – plus, clean up is so easy!
- Grilled Asparagus is a summer classic and guess what, this recipe makes the perfect cripy-tender texture.
- Low Carb Grilled Stuffed Summer Squash are an awesome vegetarian grilling recipe that’ll leave everyone wanting more!
Thanks so much for reading! If you are new here, you may want to sign up for my email newsletter to get a free weekly menu plan and the latest recipes right to your inbox. If you make this recipe, please come back and leave a star rating and review. I would love to hear what you thought!
Happy Cooking! ~KatiePrint
These simple Grilled Mushroom Kebabs are made with perfectly juicy mushrooms marinated with garlic herb marinade and threaded onto skewers. They make a light meatless main or work as a simple veggie side dish. They are low in carbs and calories but big in juicy flavor!
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
10 ounces button or cremini mushrooms, wiped clean with a damp paper towel
- Combine oil, vinegar, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper in a shallow dish and whisk to dissolve the salt.
- Add the mushrooms to the marinade, and toss to combine. Let marinate 10 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill to high heat.
- Thread mushrooms onto metal skewers through the stem and cap.
- Grill kebabs, turning, often and brushing with the marinade, until the mushrooms are tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
The number of mushrooms per serving will vary depending on the size of the mushrooms. For best results use small mushrooms, and turn the kebabs often to prevent them from cooking too fast.
The mushrooms can be marinated up to 8 hours ahead. If they let off a lot of juice, just blot them with a clean paper towel before grilling.
Remove the grilled mushrooms from the skewers and store in a resealable container up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave about 1 minute per serving, or heat on the stovetop, covered in a saucepan with a little olive oil or broth. Stir often until the mushrooms are hot.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Active Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4-6 mushrooms
- Calories: 83
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 2 g
- Fiber: 1 g
Keywords: Mushroom Kabobs, mushroom kebabs, mushroom skewers, grilled mushroom kabobs, grilled marinated mushrooms, mushroom skewers on the grill