tomatillo avocado salsa
It is pretty much guaranteed to be a lively conversation in the EatingWell Test kitchen when someone asks for cooking advice. Like they need help figuring out what to cook for dinner or to serve at a party. Or they need inspiration for how to use a certain ingredient. This time, I was that someone, and the ingredient in question was two pounds of gorgeous organic tomatillos sitting on my kitchen counter. I had gotten them from the CSA, and had been mooning over them for a few weeks.
Well, help I got! It was exactly what I needed. Let’s just say there were plenty of delicious sounding ideas. It was hard to choose just one.
The Deputy Editor of Food, aka my sister Jessie, mentioned that she likes to use them in salsa with an avocado to make it creamy. I knew that’s what I wanted to do. By my drive home that evening I was fully craving Fish Tacos with crunchy cilantro-laced coleslaw and tangy, creamy tomatillo avocado salsa.
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Makes: 4 cups
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husked
- 1 large jalapeno, stem removed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems cut off, about 3 cups
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and flesh scooped out
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Fill a large bowl with warm soapy water. Add tomatillos and agitate and rub away any sticky film on their skin. Drain and rinse thoroughly. Blot dry with a clean towel.
- Toss tomatillos, jalapeno, canola and ¾ teaspoon salt in a large roasting pan. Roast until the tomatoes are soft and starting to burst open, 20 to 25 minutes. Scrape tomatillos and juice into blender. Add cilantro, avocado, garlic and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Puree until smooth. Alternatively, if blender is too small, puree in two batches mixing together the two batches in a bowl. Chill before serving.
- healthy superbowl recipe line-up - Healthy Seasonal Recipes
- 42 Avocado Recipes - Flour On My Face
- what to do with yellow tomatoes and yellow and red tomato pico de gallo recipe - Healthy Seasonal Recipes