Hi folks, I have a yummy kid-friendly, primal-friendly, and naturally gluten-free recipe to share with you today. Maple Glazed Carrots, with a smidge of butter, shallot and a touch of cinnamon. They are mapletastic.
They are so great at this time of year when carrots have been freshly dug. I love the warm cinnamon flavor and the savory vinegar, salt and shallot to balance the sweetness from the maple and carrots. I love them with roasted chicken. And they would even make a great side dish for Thanksgiving!
How to Make Glazed Carrots
These maple glazed carrots are incredibly sweet and rich, but they’re secretly healthy for you and take less than 30 minutes to make! To prepare these glazed carrots, you’ll first want to mince the shallot and slice the carrots. If you’re prepping other recipes at the same time, go ahead and measure out the spices and maple syrup so you can simply dump everything into the saucepan when the time comes.
Then, you’ll need to sauté the minced shallot for a couple minutes until it’s nicely browned. Then add in the water, maple syrup, and spices and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the carrots in at this point and continue cooking for just a few minutes before stirring in the vinegar.
I know maple and vinegar sounds like a strange combination, but the tangy vinegar is a must in this glazed carrots recipe. If you leave it out, your carrots will be far too sweet. I used apple cider vinegar in this recipe, but white vinegar would work in a pinch too!
Have you been seeing beautiful multi-colored carrots in the store lately?
Have you ever made maple glazed carrots?
What would you serve these with?
Don’t miss this Ultimate Guide to Carrots!Print
These maple glazed carrots are so delicious at this time of year. I serve them with roasted chicken but they are also great as a Thanksgiving side dish.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 cups sliced carrots, about 1/4-inch thick
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Heat butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes, until soft and browned.
- Add water, syrup, salt, and cinnamon. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and return to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium to maintain a lively simmer, and cook, stirring once or twice, 4 to 6 minutes, until carrots are crisp-tender.
- Remove lid and stir in vinegar. Increase heat to medium-high and continue cooking, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes, until liquid has thickened and carrots are coated. Serve warm.
- Calories: 144
- Sugar: 21 g
- Sodium: 400 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: maple glazed carrots, glazed carrots