These maple glazed carrots are so delicious at this time of year. I serve them with roasted chicken but they are also great as a Thanksgiving side dish.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 cups sliced carrots, about 1/4-inch thick
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Heat butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes, until soft and browned.
- Add water, syrup, salt, and cinnamon. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and return to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium to maintain a lively simmer, and cook, stirring once or twice, 4 to 6 minutes, until carrots are crisp-tender.
- Remove lid and stir in vinegar. Increase heat to medium-high and continue cooking, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes, until liquid has thickened and carrots are coated. Serve warm.
For the best maple flavor use Grade A dark (robust) pure maple syrup.
To make this recipe vegan, substitute 1 tablespoon avocado oil or coconut oil for the butter.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 67
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 194 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 1 g