Here is a delicious roasted eggplant and chickpea salad mixed with chopped fresh parsley and crumbled feta cheese with a lemon and garlic dressing. It is a Mediterranean style entree salad or side dish. Gluten free and vegetarian.Do you know that it has been fifty one weeks that I have been wanting to make a salad like this. I started thinking about it when I saw this image on Pinterest. I never even read the recipe. I don’t even know what language the recipe was written in.
I wanted to make my own version of it. A parsley and chickpea salad that is. One that was bathed in really good olive oil. One that was unabashedly garlicky and redolent of the Mediterranean. I didn’t want to make an exact replica of that one I pinned or anything. In fact I think even from the beginning I wanted to use eggplant in it. I didn’t really have a plan for the carrots. [I ended up not including any.]
So I wrote myself a note on a sticky on my desktop, and there it has sat for 51 weeks. You want to know what else is one there? [Pumpkin Cheddar Fondue. Remind me in late September that has to happen okay? I don’t even really see that note anymore. I look right by it.] I meant to make this salad last summer when eggplants were fresh from the garden. But in the flurry of harvest season, it somehow didn’t happen. So here I am, it’s the middle of April and I am trying to justify sharing this totally not seasonal recipe on my seasonal recipe blog with you all.
Sorry. I’m doing it. Hopefully once you taste this you’ll forgive me.
I think the thing that has finally pushed me to make it happen was a spring-cleaning stint. Spring cleaning is funny isn’t it? I think it is a desire to take care of loose ends before summer smacks down on us. It hit me like a ton of bricks. Like a total lunatic, I flung open the doors and spent the afternoon tidying my office. Filing papers. I even cleaned out my closet. (I donated 5 trash bags of clothes and shoes to the Good Will!) I think the feng shui in my house just got a thousand percent better.
Then we had this for dinner. With some chicken. And these humungous cerignola olives. It was so good, I wish I had made it 51 weeks ago.
Roasted eggplant, chickpeas, feta and parsley with roasted garlic dressing. Gluten-free and vegetarian.
- 1 large eggplant, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic with skin on
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 14.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine eggplant garlic and ½ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over it and toss to coat. Spread out on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast until the eggplant is tender and browned on the bottom and the garlic is soft, about 30 minutes.
- Remove softened garlic from their papery skins using a fork or tongs and place in a large bowl. Add the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Mash garlic with a fork. Whisk in lemon juice and Dijon mustard. Add the eggplant, chickpeas, parsley and feta and toss to coat.
keep yourself in the loop
Sign up for the Health Seasonal Recipes Newsletter and you'll receive a free eCookbook. And, rest assured, we son't spam or share you info. Promise.