Roasted Eggplant Salad
Here is a delicious Roasted Eggplant Salad with chickpeas, parsley and feta mixed in. It has a rich and savory lemon and roasted garlic dressing. Enjoy it as a Mediterranean style entree salad or side dish. It is also gluten free and vegetarian.
Why We Love This Recipe
This Roasted Eggplant Salad is a a great meatless main course or it can be served as a side salad to accompany garlic herb grilled chicken or Za’atar Spice Chicken burgers. You could also use it as part of a Meze menu with your favorite Mediterranean appetizers and shared plates.
This recipe is a great way to use eggplant in your menu. It can be served warm, room temperature or cold, so it is great for make ahead meals or to serve at a potluck party or picnic in the summertime.
Ingredient Notes For This Recipe
This recipe is all about the Roasted eggplant! The silky texture of it once it is roasted is luscious. I like to leave the skins on my eggplant, because i love the texture of it. But if you prefer a smoother consistency, peel the eggplant before cutting and roasting it.
We used four cloves of garlic to make this recipe. We wanted to make this salad garlicky but not overpowering, so the garlic is roasted. This will mellow the flavors! So while four cloves sounds like a lot, you will be surprised how mellow and sweet the garlic tastes.
You can use either curly or flat leaf parsley. Wash it well and then spin it dry. Remove the stems and chop it only roughly so that there are still nice big leaves.
Because this is a Mediterranean inspired recipe I wanted to use lemon, which is sometimes paired with eggplant in that region. It adds bright flavor without asserting too much favoring to compete with the other tastes.
This is added to help emulsify the dressing and to also add a spicy backbone to the dressing. While it is not a traditional accompaniment to roasted eggplant salad, I think it does taste great!
Make sure to use kosher salt instead of table salt here. It is lower in sodium than table salt so check out this post on subbing kosher salt for regular salt.
How To Make This Recipe
Step 1: Combine eggplant garlic and ½ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over it and toss to coat.
Step 2: Spread the eggplant and garlic out on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast until the eggplant is tender and browned on the bottom and the garlic is soft, about 30 minutes.
Step 3: Remove softened garlic from their papery skins using a fork or tongs and place in a large bowl. Add the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Mash garlic with a fork.
Step 4: Whisk in lemon juice and Dijon mustard to make the dressing.
Step 5: Mix the eggplant, parsley, and chickpeas into the dressing.
FAQs for This Recipe
You do not need to line the sheet pan, but it can help make clean up easier!
You can replace 1/2 cup of the parsley with either fresh 1/2 cup basil or mint. You could also add a small amount of oregano (1 tablespoon fresh chopped.) Adding another can of beans or another variety of beans in addition to the can of chickpeas would make this more substantial for a vegetarian entree. You could also add in pine nuts to this recipe (we recommend toasting them.)
Yes! Simply omit the feta cheese. It will still be lovely without the cheese. You may want to add a pinch more salt.
These grilled lamb kofta kebabs are a great middle eastern inspired recipe to serve with this recipe.
More Eggplant and Chickpea Recipes
- This recipe for roasted eggplant with pomegranate molasses is one of my favorites.
- This Classic Ratatouille is a rustic stew featuring the best of the summer.
- This Chickpea and Grilled Corn Salad is a great summer side dish when corn is in season.
- In the cooler months, this hearty vegan Chickpea Stew has North African flavors that are amazing!
- This Chicken and Chickpea Power Salad is bursting with nutrients and protein.
- Our recipe for Israeli Couscous salad has chickpeas, golden raisins, lemon, garlic and cumin.
Thanks so much for reading. If you are new here you may want to sign up for my free weekly email newsletter or follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please come back and leave a star rating and review! It is very appreciated. Happy Cooking! ~KatiePrint
This Roasted eggplant salad is rich and exciting! It features chickpeas, feta and parsley with an easy roasted garlic dressing. It is gluten-free and vegetarian.
- 1 large eggplant, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic with skin on
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 14.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine eggplant garlic and ½ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over it and toss to coat.
- Spread the eggplant and garlic out on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast until the eggplant is tender and browned on the bottom and the garlic is soft, about 30 minutes.
- Remove softened garlic from their papery skins using a fork or tongs and place in a large bowl. Add the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Mash garlic with a fork.
- Whisk in lemon juice and Dijon mustard to make the dressing.
- Add the eggplant, chickpeas, parsley and feta and toss to coat. Serve warm or chilled.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup
- Calories: 211
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 8 g