Here is a delicious roasted eggplant and chickpea salad mixed with chopped fresh parsley and crumbled feta cheese with a lemon and garlic dressing. It is a Mediterranean style entree salad or side dish. Gluten free and vegetarian.Do you know that it has been fifty one weeks that I have been wanting to make a salad like this. I started thinking about it when I saw this image on Pinterest. I never even read the recipe. I don’t even know what language the recipe was written in.
I wanted to make my own version of it. A parsley and chickpea salad that is. One that was bathed in really good olive oil. One that was unabashedly garlicky and redolent of the Mediterranean. I didn’t want to make an exact replica of that one I pinned or anything. In fact I think even from the beginning I wanted to use eggplant in it. I didn’t really have a plan for the carrots. [I ended up not including any.]
So I wrote myself a note on a sticky on my desktop, and there it has sat for 51 weeks. You want to know what else is one there? [Pumpkin Cheddar Fondue. Remind me in late September that has to happen okay? I don’t even really see that note anymore. I look right by it.] I meant to make this salad last summer when eggplants were fresh from the garden. But in the flurry of harvest season, it somehow didn’t happen. So here I am, it’s the middle of April and I am trying to justify sharing this totally not seasonal recipe on my seasonal recipe blog with you all.
Sorry. I’m doing it. Hopefully once you taste this you’ll forgive me.
I think the thing that has finally pushed me to make it happen was a spring-cleaning stint. Spring cleaning is funny isn’t it? I think it is a desire to take care of loose ends before summer smacks down on us. It hit me like a ton of bricks. Like a total lunatic, I flung open the doors and spent the afternoon tidying my office. Filing papers. I even cleaned out my closet. (I donated 5 trash bags of clothes and shoes to the Good Will!) I think the feng shui in my house just got a thousand percent better.
Then we had this for dinner. With some chicken. And these humungous cerignola olives. It was so good, I wish I had made it 51 weeks ago.
Roasted eggplant, chickpeas, feta and parsley with roasted garlic dressing. Gluten-free and vegetarian.
- 1 large eggplant, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic with skin on
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 14.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine eggplant garlic and ½ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over it and toss to coat. Spread out on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast until the eggplant is tender and browned on the bottom and the garlic is soft, about 30 minutes.
- Remove softened garlic from their papery skins using a fork or tongs and place in a large bowl. Add the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Mash garlic with a fork. Whisk in lemon juice and Dijon mustard. Add the eggplant, chickpeas, parsley and feta and toss to coat.