One bite of this roasted eggplant with pomegranate molasses, feta and mint and I knew it would be on the Best of Healthy Seasonal Recipes. It is a knockout!
It is the kind of recipe that when I start telling someone about it, I get talking so loudly that my daughters have to stop me from embarrassing them because I am talking so loudly.
It is the kind of recipe that will make you want to turn part of your yard into a garden so you can grow eggplants.
It is the kind of recipe that is so simple, but tastes so enigmatic that you’re not quite sure what all the flavors are.
How to Make This Roasted Eggplant
- Here’s how to make it: Toss eggplant with oil in a bowl. The trick here is to not let all the oil soak into only a small area of the eggplant. It’s so absorbent, that this can easily happen. I actually drizzle the oil along the inside rim of the bowl, and then toss it. The bowl helps to distribute it. Then I add in the spice and make sure that it’s all coated. I used my hands for that.
- Next the eggplant is roasted. Just turn over once when it starts to soften. It’ll need about 20 minutes in the oven, but watch it closely near the end of the cooking time to make sure it’s not getting too dark in color. And make sure not to crowd the baking sheet, otherwise you run the risk of cooking the eggplant unevenly.
- On top comes the magic: pomegranate molasses. Man, this stuff is so yummy. It’s very floral and fruity and sweet. So good. Note that pomegranate molasses is very different from the stuff you use to make gingerbread, so don’t try substituting blackstrap molasses in this recipe.
- In stark contrast, I added in briny soft feta (I used goat feta) and then a scattering of fresh chopped mint.
It is absolute heaven!
More Easy Side Dishes:
Hope you enjoy this roasted eggplant recipe, my friends. If you make this, please come back and let me know by leaving a star rating and review!
This roasted eggplant with pomegranate molasses feta and mint has knockout flavor and is ready in 30 minutes, making it the perfect gluten-free side dish.
- 1 large eggplant, cut into long wedges, about 1 pound
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- ¼ cup crumbled soft feta
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss eggplant wedges with oil to coat. Add smoked paprika and salt and toss to coat. Spread out on the prepared baking sheet. Roast, turning the eggplant over with a spatula once, until the eggplant is softened and caramelized on the bottom, 18 to 24 minutes.
- Transfer the eggplant to a large platter. Drizzle with pomegranate molasses. Sprinkle with feta, mint and pepper. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
- Calories: 144
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 366 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: roasted eggplant