spinach and scallion salad with hot bacon dressing
You need Spinach and Scallion Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing in your life. Because… Hot Bacon Dressing! I mean, really, do we need to go any further in to reasons? It’s spinach tossed with dressing that’s made in the bacon skillet, with cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, pure maple syrup and just a little bacon fat. Don’t worry, I know it sounds super indulgent, but it’s only 274 calories per serving, low carb, paleo and gluten-free.
Is it bad that so many of the salad recipes here on Healthy Seasonal Recipes have bacon in them?
Am I forgetting any???
Probably. What can I say?
I guess I am somewhat of a one trick pony.
But, really, if I think about it, if bacon is the gateway to enjoying massive helpings of vegetables, I am good with being labeled a one trick pony.
Plus HOT BACON DRESSING!!! Swoon. You guys! Check out how easy this is to make.
Hope this little video will inspire you to try yet another salad with bacon. Just realizing that actually I have been meaning to make a recipe like this Red Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Feta too, so I guess there are many more ideas out there still! Here’s the recipe.
PS. Let me know if you try it. Leave a comment below letting me know that you did. And if you snap a pic, be sure to tag me @healthyseasonal and #SaladMonth when you share it!
PPS. Make sure you check out all of the #SaladMonth recipes here too.Print
Spinach and Scallion salad with hot bacon dressing and sliced radishes
- 8 cups spinach, torn into bite sized pieces if large, cleaned and spun dry
- 6 to 8 scallions, cleaned and chopped
- 6 slices raw bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons coarse Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- Place spinach and scallions in a large mixing bowl.
- Cook bacon in a large cast-iron skillet, over medium heat, stirring often, until browned and crispy, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove bacon to a towel lined plate with a slotted spoon. Pour off fat from the skillet and reserve. Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add vinegar. Stir and scrape up any browned bits off the bottom of the skillet. Add mustard, maple ,salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat. Whisk in olive oil.
- Pour the hot dressing over the spinach and scallions, scraping out all of it with a heat proof spatula. Toss salad. Add radish slices and the cooked bacon and toss again. Divide among 4 plates and serve.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 274
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 1326 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 17 g