Spinach and Scallion salad with hot bacon dressing and sliced radishes
- 8 cups spinach, torn into bite sized pieces if large, cleaned and spun dry
- 6 to 8 scallions, cleaned and chopped
- 6 slices raw bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons coarse Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- Place spinach and scallions in a large mixing bowl.
- Cook bacon in a large cast-iron skillet, over medium heat, stirring often, until browned and crispy, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove bacon to a towel lined plate with a slotted spoon. Pour off fat from the skillet and reserve. Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add vinegar. Stir and scrape up any browned bits off the bottom of the skillet. Add mustard, maple ,salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat. Whisk in olive oil.
- Pour the hot dressing over the spinach and scallions, scraping out all of it with a heat proof spatula. Toss salad. Add radish slices and the cooked bacon and toss again. Divide among 4 plates and serve.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 274
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 1326 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 17 g