Ham Breakfast Burrito
These ham breakfast burritos are filled with tender scrambled eggs, gooey cheese, smoky ham, and crispy hash brown potatoes. If you like to meal prep, then you will love that these homemade ham and cheese burritos can be made ahead and even frozen! They are the perfect high-protein make ahead breakfast that satisfies all morning.
This post contains affiliate links.
Table of contents
Why We Love This Recipe For Ham Breakfast Burritos
Like most of you, we are a busy family who’s always on the go. And our mornings are no different! Busy mornings mean we don’t always have time to make an elaborate, healthy, and nutritious breakfast before we head out the door. So, when we come across an easy-to-whip-up, make-ahead breakfast idea, we just have to share it with our readers!
Filled with protein-packed eggs and ham, crispy seasoned hashbrowns, and melty cheese, these grab-and-go breakfast burritos are hearty and bursting with those classic breakfast-time flavors. Pair with a side of guac, sour cream, and pico de gallo for a simple breakfast that the whole family will love!
- Can be frozen- we have instructions on how to defrost and reheat for a quick weekday breakfast
- Can be meal prepped ahead, refrigerated, and reheated in 12 minutes
- Customize with your favorite fillings
- It makes 8 burritos so it can be made as a make-ahead brunch burrito for a crowd – just reheat it in the oven. And be sure to try these burritos with our brunch-serving suggestions below!
- This is a great camping recipe- and reheated on the campfire!
More Meal Prep Friendly Breakfast Ideas
Key Ingredients for this Ham and Cheese Burrito Recipe
- Ham: Any pre-cooked diced ham, such as leftover holiday ham, deli ham, or ham steak, can be utilized in this dish.
- Hash Brown Potatoes: For ease of use, we used one bag of prepackaged shredded uncooked potatoes from the freezer section of the supermarket; however, feel free to shred your own white or sweet potatoes!
- Eggs: While we make this recipe with large whole eggs, feel free to make these burritos with just liquid egg whites or Egg Beaters if you’d prefer.
- Cheese: We used Monterey Jack which melts beautifully, and the mild creaminess is perfect with the rich and salty notes from the ham and eggs, but you can also use cheddar cheese or another good melting cheese.
- 9-inch Tortillas: We used eight medium flour tortillas for these simple breakfast burritos. If making this a low-carb dish, feel free to use your favorite low-carb tortillas.
- Salsa: We love drizzling each burrito with salsa before wrapping, but a chunkier pico de gallo would also be delicious! Choose mild to spicy salsa depending on how spicy your family likes it.
- Seasonings: Kosher salt, pepper, dried oregano, garlic powder, and paprika
How To Make Breakfast Burritos
Step 1: Brown the Potatoes
In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. To the skillet, add the hashbrowns in an even layer. Season the potatoes with half the salt, spices, and pepper to taste. Cook until the potatoes are golden in spots on the bottom and turn, cooking until barely browned and crispy. Transfer to a plate to cool.
Step 2: Make Egg and Ham Mixture
Clean the skillet and lightly coat it with cooking spray. Over medium heat, add the eggs and remaining salt and pepper. Scramble until soft curds begin to form. Stir in ham and continue to cook until eggs are set and no longer wet.
Step 3: Top Eggs and Ham with Cheese
Remove the scrambled eggs with ham from the heat and immediately sprinkle with the shredded cheese. The cheese will melt a bit from the carryover heat.
Step 4: Assemble Burritos
Arrange the tortillas on your work surface. Evenly divide the hashbrowns and egg mixture among the tortillas. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of salsa over each burrito.
Step 5: Wrap Burritos
Wrap up the burritos. And enjoy!
MEAL PREP INSTRUCTIONS: Coat a sheet of aluminum foil with cooking spray. Wrap each burrito in the sprayed foil. Refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Step 6: Heat Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos
When ready to enjoy a make-ahead frozen burrito, heat the oven to 350°F. Unwrap the burrito from the foil and microwave on high power for 90 seconds. Rewrap in foil. If your burrito was not frozen just place it directly in the oven (wrapped in foil.) Bake on the oven rack until it is hot all the way through, about 12 to 15 minutes. Unwrap and enjoy!
FAQs and Expert Tips
Each burrito has 289 calories, making this easy breakfast a quick, healthy, low-calorie option to fuel your morning.
Each homemade breakfast burrito can be frozen for up to 1 month.
Sure, can! Prepare and wrap breakfast burritos with ham as directed. Keep the wrapped burritos cold in a cooler for up to 3 days at or below 42°F. When ready to enjoy, keep burritos wrapped in foil and heat on the grill over the campfire, using tongs to turn them until warmed through. If the fire is very hot make sure to turn them often. For best results, we recommend using a moderately hot fire of coals and keeping the grill high above any active flames.
Prep-Ahead Tips and Freezer Instructions for These Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos
If you are looking for a breakfast burrito recipe to freeze or make ahead this recipe is perfect! We have loved having them in the fridge or freezer to reheat for a weekday breakfast. Here is how to do it:
- Prepare burritos up to step 4 on the recipe card.
- Coat a sheet of aluminum foil with cooking spray and wrap the burrito in the foil. Repeat until all burritos are individually wrapped.
- Refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- When ready to enjoy, reheat burritos in a 350°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Unwrap and enjoy!
- If the burrito is frozen, unwrap and microwave the burrito for 90 seconds on high power. Then rewrap in the foil and heat in a 350°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Unwrap and enjoy!
Variations to Try
We love how easy it is to change up the ingredients in this homemade ham and cheese breakfast burrito recipe. So, to spice up this already tasty recipe, below are some of our favorite swap-outs!
- Instead of Monterey Jack Cheese, try cheddar or a Mexican-blend cheese.
- Add a few dashes of hot pepper sauce to the eggs to kick up the heat.
- Use cooked browned diced potatoes instead of hashbrowns.
- Not a fan of hashbrown potatoes? No problem! Use black beans or refried beans in their place.
- Add a little milk or heavy cream to the eggs for more richness.
- Add in Veggies! Sauteed spinach, mushrooms, or green bell peppers are great in this breakfast burrito. Or add sauteed frozen peppers and onions in the skillet before adding in the eggs.
- Sour cream
- Pico de gallo
- Fruit on the side
- Serve with a glass of orange juice or another fruit juice
For a Make Ahead Brunch
These tasty make-ahead brunch burritos are perfect for your next gathering. Serve at brunch with morning glory muffins, sweet potato or sausage kale hash, melon salad or fruit kebabs, and an elegant Champagne grapefruit cocktail for one irresistible spread that is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Thanks so much for reading! If you are new here, you may want to sign up for my email newsletter to get a free weekly menu plan and the latest recipes right to your inbox. If you make this recipe, please come back and leave a star rating and review. I would love to hear what you thought!
Happy Cooking! ~Katie
Ham Breakfast Burrito
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 burritos 1x
These make-ahead breakfast burritos with ham are filled with tender scrambled eggs, cheese, smoky ham, and hash brown potatoes. They can be made ahead and even frozen so they make a perfect high-protein meal prep breakfast that satisfies all morning.
- 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil or olive oil
- 4 cups shredded frozen hash browns
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon each dried oregano, garlic powder and paprika
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten (or 1 1/3 cup liquid egg whites or Egg Beaters)
- 1 1/2 cup diced ham (8 ounces)
- 4 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 medium flour tortillas, low carb if desired (9-inch)
- 1 cup salsa
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add hashbrowns in an even layer. Sprinkle with half of the salt, spices and pepper to taste. Let cook until the hashbrowns are golden in spots on the bottom, 9 minutes. Turn with a spatula and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until they are tender, just barely browned and crispy in spots. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Wipe out the skillet and coat it lightly with cooking spray. Set over medium heat. Add eggs, the remaining salt and pepper to taste and cook, scrambling with a silicone spatula until soft curds form, 30 to 90 seconds. Add in ham and continue cooking just until the eggs are set and no-longer wet, about 1 minute longer.
- Remove the eggs and ham from the heat and sprinkle with cheese.
- Lay the tortillas on the work surface. Divide the hashbrowns and egg mixture among the tortillas, dividing evenly. Drizzle 2 tablespoons salsa over each burrito.
- Wrap up burritos. Coat a sheet of aluminum foil with cooking spray. Wrap each burrito in the foil. Refrigerate up to 4 days or freeze up to 1 month.
- To reheat: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. If burrito is frozen, unwrap foil and microwave burrito 90 seconds on high power, then rewrap with the foil. Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Unwrap and enjoy!
Make Ahead: Prepare according to directions up to step 4 on the recipe card. Once each burrito is wrapped in foil, refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Reheat: Heat oven to 350°F. If the burrito is frozen, unwrap the foil and microwave the burrito for 90 seconds on high power, then rewrap it with the foil. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Unwrap and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove Top & Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 burrito
- Calories: 289
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Protein: 21 g
Keywords: Ham Breakfast Burrito, ham and cheese burrito, ham and egg burrito, ham and cheese breakfast burrito,ham egg and cheese breakfast burrito, ham egg wrap,freezer breakfast burrito,make ahead breakfast burritos