easy holiday slaw with apples and pomegranate
This easy holiday slaw with apples and pomegranate is a bright and cheerful dish that will provide a healthy and fresh contrast to the rest of your meal. The apples, pomegranate and dried apricot make it festive enough for your Christmas feast, yet it is easy enough for a weeknight dinner. Just chop everything up, toss it in a bowl. Drizzle on the dressing and you’re good to go!
If we going to allow a salad or slaw to take up any coveted plate real estate during Thanksgiving or the holidays, it better be worth while! Amiright?
This crunchy and colorful slaw, made with Napa and purple cabbage and a confetti explosion of fruit and toasty almonds is totally worth it.
What I love is the contrast in texture it provides. A necessity with the richness of mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, ham and turkey.
It’s sort of like the way an intermezzo sorbet palate cleanser works. It just refreshes your taste buds for your next bite. Boom!
Plus it’s so pretty!
Plus the super secret awesomeness of it is that when you take up space on your plate with salad, that means you have a little less room for the more calorie dense dishes. Sneaky huh?
What strategy do you use to fit everything on your plate for Thanksgiving and the holidays?
Have you ever been served sorbet as a palate cleanser?
Do you make salad for the holidays?
MORE RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE
Wild Rice Salad with Cranberries, Apricots and Avocado
Kale Salad with Roasted Delicata Squash with Chevre, Dried Cranberries and Spiced Pecans
Kohlrabi Fennel Slaw with Blue Cheese and Walnuts
Brown Rice Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Skinny Classic Coleslaw
Don’t miss this Ultimate Guide to Cabbage!
This bright and cheerful holiday slaw will provide a healthy and fresh contrast to the rest of your Holiday meal. The apple, pomegranate and dried apricot make it festive enough for a Christmas feast, yet it easy enough for a weeknight dinner!
- 1 small head shredded Napa Cabbage
- 1 cup thinly shredded purple cabbage
- 1 sweet crisp apple such as piñata, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 3/4 cup salad dressing such as apple cider vinegar salad dressing
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds toasted
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place Napa cabbage, purple cabbage, apple, radish in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the cabbage mixture and add tarragon, and toss to coat the vegetables evenly with the dressing. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Top with the almonds, pomegranate arils and dried apricots just before serving.
Can be prepared through step 1 up to 4 hours in advance. Keep chilled.
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 20 g
- Sodium: 130 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g