Note to self: don’t even try to set about tackling an iconic dessert recipe like One Bowl Brownies without digging in for the long haul of recipe testing. The brownie recipe itself couldn’t be simpler. After all, you only need one bowl to make it! But perfecting the rich, dense, and fudgy texture with that perfect shiny top, THAT was another story.
I have been testing this fudgy brownie recipe for six weeks. It may or may not have turned my hair gray overnight. That is a secret between me and my hair stylist. And I have to say that I was going to tell you all about it, and how I tested it and even chatted with my fellow food science lover Chef Becca to try to figure out how to make these one bowl brownies uber dense and fudgy, but after testing this so many times, I barely want to look at it anymore. Much less spout off for 500 words about it. They’re great, don’t get me wrong. It’s not them, it’s me. So I’m going to keep this post short for my own sanity.
Part of the deal is that One Bowl Brownies, unlike fancy brownies such as Gluten-Free Caramel Brownies, which are all about the contrast in textures and flavors. On the flip side, these have to be perfect in their simplicity. Just a bit of a crust on the top, thick and fudgy on the inside, and 100% chocolatey tasting. Simple, but apparently, many test later, not so simple to perfect!
How to Make One Bowl Brownies
I don’t know how I could make this fudgy brownie recipe any easier! Here’s how I made these incredible one bowl brownies:
1. Melt the butter and chocolate — Melt the butter and the dark chocolate chips in the microwave for 30-second intervals. Stir the mixture after each interval and continue microwaving until fully melted (it shouldn’t take more than a minute or so).
2. Mix in the rest of the ingredients — Add the sugar to the butter mixture and mix with a silicone spatula to combine. Then add the eggs and vanilla and beat until completely combined. Finally, add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
3. Bake the brownies — Spread batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake until the brownies are puffed and the center is set up. Let the one bowl brownies cool in the baking pan on a wire cooling rack for at least one hour before cutting into them.
Cooks Notes for One Bowl Brownies:
I ended up settling on a cooler oven temp so that these fudgy brownies would not rise as much, yielding a richer texture. I also ended up increasing the sugar a bit to make them shinier on top (this was upon the recommendation of Chef Becca. Thanks, friend! That worked!).
Err on the side of slightly under-baking the one bowl brownies (28 minutes) if you like a fudgier result. Or let them bake the entire 32 minutes for them to set up completely for a slightly more cakey brownie. It is normal for the center to fall ever so slightly if you are on the short end of the scale.
I did test this easy brownie recipe with maple sugar (I just had to!!), and they browned a bit too much on the edges. If you’re okay with that, and you prefer to use a natural sweetener, then I say go for it. The chocolate does overpower the maple flavor, though.
These one bowl brownies are super chocolatey and dense. Way more so than the healthy brownie recipes I have shared in the past. Once they are cool, cut them into 16 brownies for portion control. See nutrition facts below. And since we’re on the topic of one bowl baking, check out this awesome one bowl Gluten Free Vegan Pumpkin Bread by Beaming Baker. I love a good chocolate and pumpkin combo, so thinking these two would be BFF’s on a nice sweet treat platter!
More Easy Chocolate Dessert Recipes:Print
These one bowl brownies require 10 minutes of hands-on prep work and are perfectly dense, moist, and fudgy. The easiest brownie recipe ever? Definitely!
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup flour
- 1/4 cup (natural) cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place butter and chocolate chips in a medium microwave safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds. Stir the butter and chocolate and return to the microwave. Microwave again for 30 seconds and stir until the chocolate is completely melted. (Repeat for an additional 15 to 30 seconds if needed to fully melt the chocolate.)
- Add sugar and mix with a silicone spatula to combine. Add eggs and beat until completely combined. Add vanilla and mix until completely combined. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt and stir until completely moistened.
- Spread batter in the prepared baking dish. Bake until the brownies are puffed and the center is set up, 28 to 32 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire cooling rack for at least one hour before cutting into 16 brownies.
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 187
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 94mg 4%
- Fat: 11g 17%
- Saturated Fat: 7g 35%
- Carbohydrates: 23g 8%
- Fiber: 2g 6%
- Protein: 1g 3%
Keywords: one bowl brownies, easy brownie recipe, fudgy brownies