fudgy greek yogurt trail mix brownies
These Fudgy Greek Yogurt Trail Mix Brownies are next level. They are the perfect uber chocolatey, gooey, crunchy dessert to take to your next potluck, picnic, bake sale or barbecue.
I originally shared this recipe on June 14, 2013. I have updated the images and some of the text today.
It’s officially brownie season! That’s right. The season when you feel like every time you leave the house you need to have a plate of brownies in your hand to take to a fund-raiser, end of school potluck, graduation, birthday party… I could keep going.
In the great brownie debate there are two camps. Fudgy or cakey? My thought is that if I wanted cakey, then I would bake a cake. When I want brownies fudgy is the only way to go.
The intense rich chocolate flavor and that gooey and dense yet moist texture sends me to the moon.
And for good measure I added a little Greek yogurt to make them healthier and topped them off with a layer of crunchy chewy trail mix. This recipe is a win-win!
How to make fudgy brownies
- Add more chocolate (I added bittersweet chocolate AND a little cocoa powder) and butter (I subbed in a little Greek yogurt to lighten them up a bit).
- Use less flour to give the brownies a more dense, moist and fudge-like texture.
- Stir the ingredients until just combined. Don’t over mix or whip. You don’t want to add too much air to the batter.
- Bake until the center is puffed and just slightly set. Don’t over bake. Better to be a little underdone than overdone in the brownie world.
More delicious desserts
Have you heard of Edible Cookie Dough? It’s a thing!!Print
Fudgy Chocolate Brownies made with Greek Yogurt and topped with trail mix. Only 152 calories each!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 ¼ cup turbinado sugar
- ½ cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup trail mix, or nuts and mixed dried fruit, chopped if large
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt butter and coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until melted and smooth. Add chocolate and sugar, cook, stirring until combined. Note: the sugar will still be granular.
- Scrape into a large bowl.
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Gradually whisk Greek yogurt into the chocolate mixture. Whisk in eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and mix thoroughly with a silicone spatula.
- Scrape brownie batter into the prepared baking dish and spread. Scatter trail mix over the top of the batter. Bake until the center is puffed slightly and set, 20 to 22 minutes. Cool brownies in the baking pan until room temperature, about 1 hour. Melt and drizzle the remaining chocolate over the cooled brownies if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 152
- Sugar: 13 g
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 2 g
Here are the original images associated with this blog post.