light creamy italian dressing
Light recipe for creamy Italian dressing with fat-free Greek yogurt, buttermilk and only 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise. Only 59 calories per serving!
I have had a strange week you guys. And by strange I mean crappy. I can’t really talk about it right now, I might start crying, but I will say this: in the last seven days, there was an episode of vomiting in the back of my car filled with five little girls and five fluffy tutus, an interminable 45 minutes at the pediatric dentist, and six hours of manning a bake sale table. And the worst has to do with my dear friend. It has been tough. I look strikingly similar to the famous mug shot of Nick Nolte. I feel worse.
So to be honest, talking about salad dressing seems at once a bit trite and also like a lovely escape. I promise to wash my hair, put on some lip gloss and tell you more about my friend soon but in the meantime, let’s talk about Creamy Italian Dressing and let me take my mind to the comfort and safety of my kitchen.
Ahh creamy dressing. The comfort food of salad dressing. That’s what I need right now. I am all for it. Creamy Italian salad dressing, in moderation, can be the difference between getting your vegetable servings in, and not getting your vegetable servings in, especially for saladphobes. That’s not me. I could eat salad any day, but sometimes, a girl just wants comfort food.
So salad dressing can be the answer. Especially when you would rather eat an entire liberty maple gingersnap chocolate bar to wash away your worries. (Who, me?) If that’s what it takes to embrace a bowl of raw vegetables, I say drizzle away. Especially if it’s homemade Italian dressing and on the lighter side.
This creamy Italian dressing is ultra thick because it has Greek yogurt and buttermilk in it. But both are fat-free, so they don’t have too many calories. I added in two tablespoons of full fat mayonnaise to make it taste good and to hit that elusive sweet spot of satiety. From there it was a matter of finding that perfect and classic balance of a touch of sour, sweet, herbs, and garlic.
Light recipe for creamy Italian dressing with fat-free Greek yogurt, buttermilk, and only 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise. Only 59 calories per serving!
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup fat free Greek Yogurt
- 3 tablespoons fat-free buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave or white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning dried herb blend
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- Mince garlic, sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt, and mash with the side of a chef’s knife until it forms a smooth paste.
- Scrape garlic and salt mixture into a medium bowl. Add the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, yogurt, buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, agave or sugar, Italian seasoning, pepper, and dill and whisk until completely smooth.
- Use immediately or store in a jar in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
Feel free to use fresh herbs instead of the dried herbs. The dried herbs give this a classic taste, but I love the fresh taste of chopped chives, dill, and parsley in this too. Use roughly double fresh herbs for dry.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 59
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 200 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.6 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 3 g